We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Finding out about USB stick?

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Perhaps another one of those silly questions, but I have found a number of unmarked USB sticks.Some packets just have a barcode. No indications as to what they are, what they do, or whether they have programs loaded on them. They are all new.

Silly question: How do I find out what they are. Is it a simple case of trial and error, just plug-in, or something far better and cleverer than that?.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Just bung them in and have a look would be my suggestion. I had a similar find a while ago,under orders was having a clear out of what she like to call junk. I prefer to call it you never know when it might come in handy stuff. anyway found a couple of USB drives and plugged them in to find I must have used them when I had XP, when networking PC's was not as easy as it is now. Must have used these to transfer programs ETC from PC to PC.

Ended up formatting them, might come in handy one day.LOL.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

For my sins, I report on a number of major trade shows. Pretty much all exhibitors now give out their press packs on USB sticks. I now have a drawer full of them - perhaps 100 or more. Like Chronos, I believe they 'may come in useful some time'. Although possibly not 100+ of them... In answer to the question: as Chronos says, just bung 'em in and browse them with Windows Explorer. There is no easier way/short cut.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Thanks guys, it looks like we all suffer from the same "may come in handy" complaint.

I think I received mine from a variety of ways, given free with something, bought because they were cheap, and possibly because they had that all important program that I forgot about.

It now looks like finding an hour or two experimenting in between 'resting'. No doubt I might be asking the same question in a year or two?.

Thanks again, will tick as resolved.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...