We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Browser Plug-Ins

Pine Man
Resolved

Likes # 0

I need some advice on what plug-ins are all about.

Using a simple example - Firefox has an Adobe Reader plug-in and if I click on a pdf file on a site it opens it for me. If I disable the plug-in and then click on a pdf file on a web site it opens it for me!? The same happens in IE10.

I have just installed Sumatra to deal with pdf files and during the installation an option exists for installing a Firefox plug-in. Firefox deals with the pdf files whether or not that plug-in is installed.

What is the point? Or am I missing something?

By the way Sumatra knocks spots off Adobe Reader:-)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The latest editions of those two browsers have built in pdf reader capability and therefore the plugins(required for previous versions) are no longer required.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat

Thanks for your response but the pdf files were opening in either Adobe Reader or Sumatra NOT the built in Firefox reader.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I have just checked both browsers. Neither have any pdf readers installed as plug-ins but both open pdf files in Sumatra.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Firefox and Chrome have now got a built in PDF reader. IE 10 hasn't. Your PDFs open in Sumatra as it's the default reader.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Just guessing, Probably a setting ticked/selected in Sumatra program preferences that makes it the default viewer in Browsers.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

rdave

I am trying to find out why you should have to install a Sumatra pdf plug-in with Firefox (and IE10) when it works perfectly without the plug-in and still opens in Sumatra and NOT the built in reader.

lotvic

Sumatra is the default pdf reader but the Sumatra plug-in isn't installed but it still works. What is the point of the plug-in is my query.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I don't have any PDF reader plug-in in firefox and it opens PDFs in the browser page. As for IE 10 I use the reader tile (win 8) to read PDFs. So I assume you downloaded Sumatra so you could read PDFs in IE10? I then assume Sumatra takes over as default reader in any browser.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I then assume Sumatra takes over as default reader in any browser

Yup I'm sure it does BUT why does it offer a plug-in for Firefox when a pdf file still opens in Sumatra (or Adobe Reader when installed) without the plug-in?

Adobe Reader and Sumatra install a plug-in in both IE10 and Firefox but both seem to work as a reader without it.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Maybe the 'plug-in(s)' just make an entry in the browser list so you can choose it or another one? Meaning if plug-in is not installed it doesn't appear in the list and Sumatra (or another) pdf reader is the default in Windows it is opened automatically.

Like this post  
Pine Man

Likes # 0

lotvic

Good thinking. You might have hit the nail on the head! In theory you could have a different pdf reader in each of your browsers. Hmmmm I think I'll stick to Sumatra in both.

Thanks for your input.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...