We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Office 2011 on Macbook Pro

dont use one

Likes # 0

I have a macbook pro with office 2011, and i find it is rubbish! nothing like office on my PC. i have major problems in that i cant type certain works. if i try to Type wil it wil change to all and add an l to next word, i have tried all i can even entering correction in Auto correct, i have now turned off all auto correct functions but it still happens. i also get similar resorts with other common words. it also reports incorrect spelling often for first word on new sentence yet spelling correct and not shown if in an other position. so far i am very unimpressed with Apple and wish i had stayed wit ha PC. some times very slow and can take ages to close down.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

First of all ~ The fault is with 'Office for Macs' and not the Mac itself.

It is an M$ problem. I suggest that you delete Office and re-install it.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

I agree, delete MS Office and re install.

Have you tried Notepad, or the Mac equivalent to check typing is not a hardware issue?

I can recommend LibreOffice as an alternative to MS Office.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I agree that it would be worth uninstalling and reinstalling Office 2011. I have it in a MacMini and MacBook Air and haven't experienced the issues that you're having.

" i am very unimpressed with Apple and wish i had stayed wit ha PC. some times very slow and can take ages to close down"

If this is a new MacBook, it might be worth getting it checked out. Presumably it has an Intel i5 processor and at least 4GB of RAM, so it certainly shouldn't be slow. Unless a Mac is being unused for several days, it is usual to put it to sleep rather than shutting it down. However, even if you do shut it down, it shouldn't take ages and no longer than a Windows PC.

Is it possible that you've installed some software that is causing the MacBook to hang (slow shutdown) and also cause a conflict with Office 2011?

Like this post
dont use one

Likes # 0

i agree with its a MS software but Mac cant even be bothered to offer a UK dictionary !!!! UK english is not the same as USA in fact as different as French but to much bother for Mac the speed i now find out is due to mac not being able to use more than 60% of space before problems so 750GB drive only good for 450GB as i need 6/700GB not much use i have had to delete or move to another drive over 200GB to resolve problem i found this issue on PC Advisor also others with same problem cant wait to get back to PC

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

What is this Mac that is giving you the problems.

I can recognise none of them and, although a PC user myself, I regularly meet with Maccers.

For example: Are you using 'M$ Office for Macs' or are you using a regular copy of 'M$ Office'?

Changing M$ Office from 'US English' to 'UK English' is just a few Mouse Clicks away, whichever version you are using.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

<< I have a macbook pro with office 2011, and i find it is rubbish!if i try to Type wil it wil change to all and add an l to next word >>

I've used Mac office 2008 & 2011, never have the problem as you described.

<< the speed i now find out is due to mac not being able to use more than 60% of space before problems so 750GB drive only good for 450GB as i need 6/700GB >> << i found this issue on PC Advisor also others with same problem >>

Can you provide some proof or a link in PC Advisor as I've used a MacBook Pro for some years now & HDD capacity is down to less than 30% & it's still flying.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"but Mac cant even be bothered to offer a UK dictionary !!!!"

In the Word 2011 menu, go to "Tools > Language", set it to English (UK) and click the Default button. All new documents will then spellcheck in "proper" English!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen