We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cursor freezing when watching videos online

Orion101

Likes # 0

Hello everyone!

I am an imbecile when it comes to anything to do with computers, and I apologise if someone has already posted something about this issue before, but if you could help me, I'd be eternally grateful!

My cursor freezes every time I watch a video online for more than 7-8 minutes! And it stays frozen regardless of what I do, so I have to turn my laptop on and off. I have tried practically everything I can think of; Re-install drivers, delete and re-install flash, delete and re-install Synoptics drivers, bought a mouse instead of using touch pad, scanned and cleaned my computer with AVG, used Registry Easy... Nothing has worked. I've ticked off Chrome's (the browser I primarily use, but the problem appears in Safari as well) built-in Flash plug in... Nothing works. This happens regardless of whether I am watching on full screen or not. After about 7-8 minutes, sometimes longer, there's a PING sound but no information about the issue. I can still left- and right click, but I can't move the cursor...

I have a Compaq 615 (about 4 years old) with Windows 7 32 mbit... Not sure what specification you would need if you think you can help... Model: CPO615UO (or possibly Q) L - 66Q5X180MBBNCN22Xa

Please help! And sorry for being such a noob!

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the power options? Go to Power Options in Control panels and see what settings you have - if on Power Saving change it.

Like this post
mentok1

Likes # 0

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I came across this piece of advice about usb suspend mode:-

Control Panel, Power Options, on whichever plan you have enabled select "change plan settings" accordingly. Select "change advanced power settings" expand USB settings by clicking on the + sign Expand the usb selective suspend setting by clicking on the + sign select "disable" on both on battery and plugged in modes Click on Apply

Like this post
Orion101

Likes # 0

Thank you all very much, will test all your suggestions and let you know of the outcome! I'm deeply grateful!

Like this post
Orion101

Likes # 0

Guys, thank you very much for the suggestions but I'm afraid they didn't help... I'm really grateful for the advice, if you or anyone else can think of anything, please let me know! I'm desperate!

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

1)Is it overheating?
2)Check you Toshiba help to find out what the "Ping" signifies.

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

For Toshiba read Compaq.

Like this post
Orion101

Likes # 0

@Caccy -

No, it's not overheating. And I have Compaq HP, not toshiba. The ping sound is the same sound whenever anything goes crashes in Windows.

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

Have you checked "Task Manager" to see what other applications are running and stopping all except your browser?

Like this post
Orion101

Likes # 0

No, I'll give it a try. Thank you @caccy! As I said, I'm an imbecile when it comes to computers! Sorry!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......