We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 8 problem

eysha1

Likes # 0

How do i get into safemode in windows 8. I am in trouble againa nd starting to hate computers. I installed Microsoft Office and and when trying to use it for the first time the mouse froze totally. all i can do is sign in but nothing else. the apps come up but with no mouse i cannot get anywhere at all. I think it is a problem with Office so was going to uninstall it but cannot get to do that. I have tried F8 but it doesn't seem to work so unless i can get in to delete it i am stuck again. I am on my old, reliable vista, don't care for win 8 so far, lol. Will stay online for replies. Thanks in advance. E.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Is this a mouse or a touchpad problem? If it's a touchpad problem (driver corrupted possibly) try a usb mouse, or remove the usb mouse if you're using one.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

On a laptop I would think twice before using Windows 8 to "refresh" especially if you haven't burnt your 'restore to factory settings' discs. Windows will wipe everything in "refresh" except for your 'documents' and browser bookmarks/favourites. It's basically a new install and will remove all installed programs.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

If you read through my link above you will find that F8 does work for Win8, it is just not that obvious.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Nontek , I've tried it until the cows come home and failed with my set-up. :(

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If it won't boot at all, I've found that forcing a shutdown twice during the boot sequence encourages W8 to open the Advanced Options on the subsequent boot.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies. It is a touch-pad problem, sorry i kept calling it a mouse. I have tried F8 with no luck at all and even forced a shutdown, no luck again. rdave, how to i find a drive if it is a driver problem and, no, i didn't get around to making restore to factory settings disks yet and not sure how to either so instruction would be helpful for that. I had so much trouble with the little net book that i forgot about it. Looks like if i cannot get a driver for the touch-pad, i cannot get into device manager to find out if there is a problem there without a pointing device, then i will have to wait and go buy a mouse and hope that works.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"It is a touch-pad problem"

It could be something as simple as you inadvertently turning off the touchpad. On some laptop models there's a small button near the touchpad area and pressing it toggles it on or off. In the absence of such a button, one of the function keys on the top row of the keyboard is sometimes used.

If you can't see anything obvious then post back your laptop manufacturer and model number.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Thanks, it is a Toshiba Satalite c850-12l

I have been looking on the net and i think it might be a common problem with this model. If so it is going back to the shop. I have just had to take a net-book back after having tons of problems and posts here, which i got a load of help from the people here but no luck. I took that one back only last week so if this one has to go back too it will be annoying.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"it is a Toshiba Satalite c850-12l"

According to the manual for your laptop, the F5 key (top row of keyboard) toggles the touchpad on and off. Give it a brief press and see if that works. If not, hold down the FN key (bottom row of keyboard) and press F5 again.

Like this post
eysha1

Likes # 0

Tried that too and it didn't work.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad