We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Have to switch on/off at back to start computer

Retired at last

Likes # 0

When starting in the morning pressing the front button has no effect. I switch off at the back, wait for the LED in the start button to light momentarily, then switch back on. Then when I press the front button the computer starts and runs all day (until it is shut down at about 23:00), without any problems. Any and all advice appreciated.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Any problems with the clock?

Like this post
Retired at last

Likes # 0

No,the clock seems to be keeping good time.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

make / model?

age of machine

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

How do you shut down at night? Power Settings, might only be going into Hibernation or Sleep and then can't wake up. (like most of us :))

Like this post
Retired at last

Likes # 0

It's a Medion MD8339 (Akoya X7330), three years old in January past, so just out of warranty!

Shutting down at night is using Windows "Shut Down" button. If any programs are still running it refuses to shut down until I close them manually or tell it to shut them down, so it's not hibernating.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sounds like PSU is starting to fail (unusual for a medion) but first check what the power settings are in the BIOS

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I am not sure if I am reading this right, but it appears that when you do switch on, you leave the computer on all day till 23.00, when it then perhaps shuts-off automatically?.

Have you tried shutting-off and restarting during the 'normal' running day procedure. If so, What happens?.

Like this post
Retired at last

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat, What should I be looking for in the power settings?

Like this post
Retired at last

Likes # 0

Hi Spuds, I shut the computer down manually at about 23:00 (I don't have to get up early so late nights are the order of the day here!)

I've tried shutting down and then restarting this morning and it restarted without any problems. That was just for five minutes, so later today I'll shut down for an hour or so and see what happens then.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips for beginners: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite