We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Have to switch on/off at back to start computer

Retired at last

Likes # 0

When starting in the morning pressing the front button has no effect. I switch off at the back, wait for the LED in the start button to light momentarily, then switch back on. Then when I press the front button the computer starts and runs all day (until it is shut down at about 23:00), without any problems. Any and all advice appreciated.

Like this post
Retired at last

Likes # 0

Tried shutting down again, this time for two hours, manually restarted from the front button without problems

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I have had several Medion PC's and after shutting down the PC I switch off at the mains. Upon starting up you switch on at the mains - the blue light comes on the PC and then goes off - press the front button and it then starts up. Is this associated with your problem?

Like this post
Retired at last

Likes # 0

Yes, except that I don't switch off at the mains at night, so tonight I will try that. It may save me having to switch off and on at the back of the machine, but it doesn't answer the question of why, after three years and two months, has it started being awkward.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I do not shut my 8yr old Medion off at the mains as this you (overtime) flatten the CMOS battery.

Are there no signs of life when pressing front power button (when problem occurs)and before using rear switch?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I am wondering if the difference is:

Previously when closed down for the night the way you have been doing it for last 3 years the motherboard led light stayed on overnight so it was ready to boot up when you pressed the front power button.

Now for some reason the motherboard led light has gone out overnight and to restore power to motherboard you have to flick the switch on back of pc to off and back to on.

Don't know the what and why's but it might help to know if that was happening?

Like this post
Retired at last

Likes # 0

No, it acts totally deceased.

I switch off at the back, wait for the blue flash from the LED and switch on again at the back, although today it did take two goes to start it, so I think something is on its way out

Like this post
Retired at last

Likes # 0

Hi Lotvic,

No, the light definitley didn't stay on overnight,the room is totally dark after I shut down for the night

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Thinking back into the dim and distant past, was there not a situation whereby switching off at the rear of the PC and then HOLDING the start button in for some thirty seconds - releasing the start button - then switch the rear switch back on to reset the PC?

Like this post
Retired at last

Likes # 0

Hi Compumac,

Yes, I've tried that one and it made no difference. Medion suggested it actually.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

As I said earlier I think your PSU is probably failing.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad