We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cursor stopping when i type

jonski

Likes # 0

Hi All, this problem is a recent thing. While typing in a chat box, or a email or anything where im typing. Ill look at the screen and its stopped. I have to click on the screen to start typing again. I might be able to type 20 words or sometimes only 5 before this happens.

Its a real pain and ive no idea why. Sometimes ill be typing and the screen saver will come on. I`ve installed nothing new recently and run virus scans and found nothing wrong.

While typing this problem my cursor has stopped 7 times.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks John

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Does the issue occur only with Internet Explorer?

Open Internet Explorer (IE) in no add-ons mode and see if the issue persists.

To start Internet Explorer without add-ons,

A. Click the Start button, and select All Programs.

B. Click Accessories, and select System Tools.

C. Click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

Like this post
jonski

Likes # 0

Its happening in ie9, safari, emails,word documents...xcel, just about everything i type into.

Like this post
jonski

Likes # 0

But my main browser is safari.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Laptop or desktop? Operating system?

Like this post
jonski

Likes # 0

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit 3gb ram Packard Bell Desktop service pack 1

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Two possibilities. Check your mouse. If it's a laser one make sure the lens is clear and clean. Something is moving the cursor whilst you type and selecting another area of the screen. That could of course be the Tab key - is it sticking?

I suggest you change both keyboard and mouse first and see if that cures the problem.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Could be dirt/crumbs in keyboard, try turning it upside down and shaking/tapping to dislodge any bits of debris.

Like this post
jonski

Likes # 0

My keyboard is wireless, but the mouse is usb. I`ve give the keyboard a good cleaning and changed the batteries and Voila...it seems ok.

Thanks to all that answered.

But why would low battery life alter the mouse cursor??

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Weak signal = incorrect or incomplete received commands.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund