We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Toshiba laptop won't boot up

Dazman5

Likes # 0

Hi all,

Last night, I logged off my laptop as normal, and when I came back to it an hour later, it wouldn't boot up.

I have three green lights to indicate that it is fully charged and connected to the socket, but when I press power, it attempts to boot up for a couple of seconds and then stops, plus nothing appears on the screen. The three green lights remain on. When I hold down the power button for five seconds, you can hear it shut down, as you would if everything was working correctly.

I tried taking the battery out, and putting it back in etc, but still nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas? I presume it is a simple case of the motherboard breaking, but was curious to see if anyone thought it might be something else.

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Whist I think this is a screen problem I can't see why this would cause it to shut down. Are you sure it is shutting down completely which would indicate overheating.If it is shutting down completely then I can't see that connecting to another monitor will resolve that. Worth a try of course, why no back up?

Like this post
Dazman5

Likes # 0

I shut it down properly the last time I used it. Looking back to when I first realised it wasn't working correctly, it probably hadn't shut itself down, I was probably too quick to automatically think that it had shut down.

There was probably just an issue with grills being blocked or something, because once I used a vacuum on it/them, it began to boot up as expected. Obviously that doesn't really explain the issue with the screen though.

Just got to see how I go with the VGA and then decide what to do from then onwards.

Like this post
Dazman5

Likes # 0

Well, I have purchased a VGA cable. I connected it to my laptop and to the TV, and nothing appeared. I pressed refresh and it came back saying that no devices had been found.

We did the same process using another laptop, and it worked, without the need to refresh or anything. We got the laptop features on the TV screen, as expected.

Not too sure what I can do now, apart from take it to a repair shop. The TV wasn't picking anything up from the laptop, so wouldn't that suggest that it is more than just a screen/backlight invertor problem?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Unfortunately that sounds like a graphics chip problem

you did remember to cycle through the Fn F key with the VGA cable connected?

Like this post
Dazman5

Likes # 0

Yeah we did. Tried it a couple of times, but nothing happened. The light on the laptop was flashing every time we pressed, but no screen appeared.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Perhaps this is a daft suggestion but could you try increasing the brightness using the laptop keyboard?

Also just check to see whether you can get a BIOS screen by pressing F2 as soon as you switch on.

Both are very long shots but nothing to lose by trying them!

Like this post
Dazman5

Likes # 0

Any suggestions are welcome! Unfortunately, neither worked, but thanks for the suggestions.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Im inclined to agree with Fruit Bat. It seems like the graphics output is faulty. As the graphics chips are incorporated in the motherboard it looks like a replacement motherboard is necessary which could prove expensive.

If you are concerned about losing the data on your hard disc if you have to buy a new laptop, you can remove it from your current laptop and put it into a USB attached caddy and transfer the data to a new/different machine.

Incidentally did you notice if the DC IN light blinked white when it shut itself down? According to the manual it does this if overheating is the cause of the shutdown. As Bumpkin says the two problems dont seem to relate unless the original cause was an overheat that blew the graphics.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

It really depends on the importance of your data. From the info we have so far I would imagine that the cost of repair will be more than the value of the PC, you could ask for an estimate though as we may have missed something. Assuming your data is still on the HD you should be able to recover it via another PC, caddy is probably easiest as suggested by bris. Another option is an external USB graphics card. Personally at this pointI would just rescue the HD and put the cost of repairs towards a new and better laptop.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

I agree with Bumpkin. An even better option would be to get a desktop instead, much easier and cheaper to fix!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'