We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Toshiba laptop won't boot up

Dazman5

Likes # 0

Hi all,

Last night, I logged off my laptop as normal, and when I came back to it an hour later, it wouldn't boot up.

I have three green lights to indicate that it is fully charged and connected to the socket, but when I press power, it attempts to boot up for a couple of seconds and then stops, plus nothing appears on the screen. The three green lights remain on. When I hold down the power button for five seconds, you can hear it shut down, as you would if everything was working correctly.

I tried taking the battery out, and putting it back in etc, but still nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas? I presume it is a simple case of the motherboard breaking, but was curious to see if anyone thought it might be something else.

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
Dazman5

Likes # 0

I will be getting the HDMI cable in about an hour, but after leaving the laptop for a day, I just tried turning it on and it boots up exactly how it should do...I just can't see.

I'd say it is definitely a visual problem. Maybe a new graphics card is needed.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

There's no such thing as a new graphics card for a laptop - it's part of the mobo.

Like this post
Dazman5

Likes # 0

So if it is a visual thing/graphics card failure, is there a way of it being fixed?

Like this post
Dazman5

Likes # 0

Just tried with the HDMI - nothing appeared on the TV.

We tried it with the PS3 using an HDMI cable, and it automatically picked up the PS3 and that loaded as normal.

The laptop itself is booting properly now and it is picking up disc's in the CD drive (the light flashes on the CD drive after pressing the power button too). I've also got three green lights for the battery/power etc. Everything is normal, apart from a black screen.

Any solutions? If I can't replace the graphics card, is there anything I can do, apart from an expensive trip to the repair shop?

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

With the TV connected via HDMI did you remember to use the FN/F5 key to toggle between the laptop screen and the laptop?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

As I said earlier not sure if the HMDI works out of BIOS but needs setting up in windows but a VGA will work.

As you think its booting OK then either screen backlight invertor or connection cable, going suddenly points more to invertor backlight or cable as screen failures usually start with fuzziness or vertical lines appearing.

Like this post
Dazman5

Likes # 0

Yeah, I was pressing F5/FN at the same time, and gave it a few seconds each time to see if anything happened, but nothing happened.

I also refreshed the search for a device on the HDMI channel and it said that no devices had been found. With the PS3, it came up automatically.

Like this post
Dazman5

Likes # 0

We will have to buy a VGA cable tomorrow and see how we go with that.

The boot-up process has certainly improved after using a vacuum over the grills. I did that yesterday afternoon, and it improved marginally, but after leaving it a day, it was normal. Is it possible that something has overheated, and that has damaged something to do with the screen?

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

I scanned the manual for any BIOS information relating to HDMI but there appears to be none but there is very little BIOS info anyway. The only options that are available relate to setting the HDMI resolutions in Windows but of course you cant change those as you cant get a working screen. I would have thought that the TV would have recognized something anyway regardless.

Clearing out dust should give an immediate improvement not an effect over time.

Can overheating cause damage? YES. It all depends if the machine shuts itself down in time before damage occurs.

The fact that it now appears to be booting OK suggests that no damage has occured if indeed it was overheating that caused this problem. As you have heard no beeps this indicates that the power on self test completed OK which tends to rule out problems with the graphics circuitry.

This brings us back to the screen being at fault or a connection problem or some other intermittent fault.

Connecting a monitor via VGA will prove whether the screen is at fault or not, if nothing appears on the external monitor then, presented with this problem I would strip it down as far as possible, clean it out, reseat all connectors, memory and HDD and keep my fingers crossed that I didnt have to get it repaired professionally.

Like this post
Dazman5

Likes # 0

Regarding when the computer shutting itself down, there was no problem with the laptop when I shut it down before the problems occurred. It was a case of turning it off properly, and then coming back to it and being presented by a black screen. That is when it was only booting up for a few seconds and going dead. So I would imagined some overheating has occurred at some stage, and a clean out has done it some good.

When I use a VGA, hopefully something will appear, and then I can get the files I want off my laptop, and then I will probably go down the route of getting a new laptop anyway. I think I had the laptop in December 2008 or 2009 so it is a few years old anyway.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks