We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Toshiba laptop won't boot up

Dazman5

Likes # 0

Hi all,

Last night, I logged off my laptop as normal, and when I came back to it an hour later, it wouldn't boot up.

I have three green lights to indicate that it is fully charged and connected to the socket, but when I press power, it attempts to boot up for a couple of seconds and then stops, plus nothing appears on the screen. The three green lights remain on. When I hold down the power button for five seconds, you can hear it shut down, as you would if everything was working correctly.

I tried taking the battery out, and putting it back in etc, but still nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas? I presume it is a simple case of the motherboard breaking, but was curious to see if anyone thought it might be something else.

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
Dazman5

Likes # 0

At first, it was starting up for a few seconds, and then going quiet. Sometimes, after a couple of minutes, it would make a noise and indicate that it is still on. On other occasions, it just stays on. If it is blocked grills, how do I go about sorting that?

I'm not able to get into the BIOS setup because I can't get anything on the screen. Once I get hold of a HDMI cable, probably tomorrow, I will see if I can bring it up using an external monitor/TV.

Thanks for both of your replies :).

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Not sure if it will swap to TV using HDMI and Fn buttons but certainly will using a Vga cable

If grills are blocked just use a vacuum against the grills to suck ut the dirt. (Do not blow into grills just pushes dirt in further

Like this post
Dazman5

Likes # 0

I have just used a vacuum over the grills and other areas of the laptop, but nothing has changed.

It has gone back to going quiet again after a couple of seconds. I'm leaving it turned on and it is coming back to life every so often, but still nothing on the screen.

I'm not too sure that it has a VGA output on the laptop, but if it has, I will give it a go.

I was trying to avoid getting it sorted professionally, but that looks needed at the moment.

Like this post
Dazman5

Likes # 0

Another thing I just tried...

I just put a disc into the disc drive, and the laptop made all the usual sounds to indicate that it was loading whatever was on the CD.

I presume that indicates that the laptop/motherboard are fine - it is more of a visual thing?

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

If you follow Fruit Bats link on the first page, the blue connector with 15 holes in 3 rows of 5 is the socket where you connect a monitor and thats the easiest and best option. Perhaps you could borrow one?

Some laptops run the cooling fan at full speed when you first switch on and then when part way through the boot sequence will reduce it to a much lower (and quieter speed). This may be what you are experiencing borne out by the fact that it comes back on again after a period, this is normal as, being a laptop, it will only spin up the fan when the CPU gets hot enough to require it, assuming this is the noise you are hearing.

It seems from your description that its working OK but that the screen is dead, so back to the original suggestion of connecting a monitor or television as this will prove whether or not the screen is faulty.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Just had a look at the manual for your laptop and the external monitor port is as described above and its at the rear in the centre probably black rather than blue.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

If you dont have your manual to hand you can download a copy here

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Correction. Sorry got the orientation wrong. The external monitor connection is on the left together with the HDMI socket.

If you are unable to use a monitor then a TV will suffice connected via the HDMI socket. The instructions for toggling between the laptops screen and a TV or monitor are the same i.e. the FN and F5 key.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Long shot but it could be a bad connection to the screen, try waggling the screen back and forth and see if you get anything at all even a quick flash.

Like this post
Dazman5

Likes # 0

Many thanks for all of the replies :)

I'm borrowing an HDMI cable tomorrow, so hopefully I will make some sort of progress on that front.

I did try wiggling the screen about incase anything was loose, but nothing happened.

I will keep giving it a go later, but other than that, I will write back and say how it went with the HDMI cable.

Thanks for your help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'