We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Toshiba laptop won't boot up

Dazman5

Likes # 0

Hi all,

Last night, I logged off my laptop as normal, and when I came back to it an hour later, it wouldn't boot up.

I have three green lights to indicate that it is fully charged and connected to the socket, but when I press power, it attempts to boot up for a couple of seconds and then stops, plus nothing appears on the screen. The three green lights remain on. When I hold down the power button for five seconds, you can hear it shut down, as you would if everything was working correctly.

I tried taking the battery out, and putting it back in etc, but still nothing.

Does anyone have any ideas? I presume it is a simple case of the motherboard breaking, but was curious to see if anyone thought it might be something else.

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. Turn off the computer,
  2. Take the battery out
  3. Take out the power supply
  4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
  5. Reconnect power supply leave battery off
  6. Attempt to boot
  7. If ok refit battery

Something else to try if you think its booting but nothing on screen is to cycle through the buttons which change from screen to external monitor (Fn (F5? blue square) or attach latop to external monitor or TV to check if screen failure.

Like this post
Dazman5

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply.

I tried the taking the battery out and following the seven steps, but still the same.

It tries to boot for about two seconds, and then goes dead. I don't even get the logo (in this case, Toshiba) show up when attempting to boot.

I tried pressing F5 (and a lot more buttons!) but nothing. One thing I noticed when I pressed the 'FN' button is that a light flashed on the keyboard, but this didn't happen when I pressed any other key...not sure what that means, if anything?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You need to press Fn and the F key with the blue square at the same time to cycle the LCD panel / external monitor

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Did you try connecting an external monitor/tv? It sounds as though it could be the screen.

If its not the screen, about the only other thing you could try is to reseat the hard drive and memory after removing the battery and mains chord and blow out as much dust as possible.

Unfortunately as its a laptop there is not much else you can do.

Like this post
Dazman5

Likes # 0

I haven't tried an external monitor, because that is something I have never done before so I'm not sure how to go about it.

After pressing power, I just pressed F5 and FN at the same time and nothing happened, so I turned it off again. The next time I have tried, it hasn't gone dead after a couple of seconds. It has been been doing something/making a noise like it is turned on for about three minutes now...but there is still nothing coming on the screen, it is completely blank, not even a cursor.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

t is turned on for about three minutes now.. don''t switch off just keep trying the Fn F5 and leave for a few seconds between presses.

Can you see a faint immage on the screen if you shine a bright light on it?

This is sounding more like screen / backlight / invertor / LCD connector problem rather than a dead laptop.

What sort of connectors are there at the back of the laptop for video out?

VGA or HMDI

Make and model of Toshiba?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

LAptop to TV shows how to connect

In your case we just need to connect by cable to see if its the laptop or just the screen that is faulty.

Like this post
Dazman5

Likes # 0

I can't see any faint images after pressing the FN and F5. The laptop went back to it's 'two seconds and dead' way at first, but after a few attempts, it stayed on for longer.

My laptop has an HDMI option, and I think VGA too.

The Toshiba model is - Satellite L450D-11G.

I need to get hold of an HDMI cable so I can see what happens.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Is it shutting down completely after a few seconds?

If so then may be overheat due to block grills

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Go into BIOS screen look to see if Bios sees the hard drive

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer