We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

my printer does not print labels accurately

FITZSIMMONDS

Likes # 0

I have Avery J8160 labels. My printer is HP Deskjet F380. I print out the labels perfectly positioned on plain A4, but on the labels they are just out of position and therefore useless. Holding the A4 printed sheet against a blank label sheet, both against the light, I can see that the size is correct. I'm sure I have chosen the correct label size [J8160] from the drop-down list in Microsoft Works. What to do?!

Like this post
Alan2

Likes # 0

I would recommend Avery's DesignPro 5. It includes templates for all their products.

Just google: Avery DesignPro 5 to download it for FREE, though you will have to register your name and email address but if I recall correctly this could lead to free samples.

When installed it gives guidance on aligning your printer and allows you you print one or two labels or whole sheets very accurately - I think it's great.

Try it.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

It would be useful to know what the OP thought of the answers to this question, and also if the problem has been solved and if so how?

Like this post
FITZSIMMONDS

Likes # 0

Thanks to everybody for your advice - I bought a pack of Staples lables - L7163 this time and tried again - I also checked my margins on Microsoft Works and made sure they matched the label sheet - printed out an A4 sheet- perfect positioning! - printed out the label sheet and lost the top half of each line leaving the bottom third of the label vacant - I then pushed the contents down a couple of lines, thereby containing [just]the top line. I'm gonna have to make do with that - it's OK, but I'm still mystified. Does the printer pick up the label sheet too quickly and position it wrongly owing to the thickness and a more 'slippery' surface? I shall try downloading Avery templates, but I can't see how that would change the printer's eccentric behaviour.

Like this post
FITZSIMMONDS

Likes # 0

Thanks to everybody for your advice - I bought a pack of Staples lables - L7163 this time and tried again - I also checked my margins on Microsoft Works and made sure they matched the label sheet - printed out an A4 sheet- perfect positioning! - printed out the label sheet and lost the top half of each line leaving the bottom third of the label vacant - I then pushed the contents down a couple of lines, thereby containing [just]the top line. I'm gonna have to make do with that - it's OK, but I'm still mystified. Does the printer pick up the label sheet too quickly and position it wrongly owing to the thickness and a more 'slippery' surface? I shall try downloading Avery templates, but I can't see how that would change the printer's eccentric behaviour.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Why not give Staples a ring. Nothing lost and you never know - they may have the answer

Like this post
FITZSIMMONDS

Likes # 0

Finally worked it out! I increased and decreased the top and bottom margins on 'page set up' using one sheet of labels and using only 2 label spaces each time, one top, one bottom. I used a different strong colour each time, so was able to experiment many times. The bottom labels don't print beyond a certain depth of the label, but that's the printer - I think it must be the pressure. I didn't do a trial print-out on plain A4 - there was no point. This website was a help:- http://www.labelplanet.co.uk/printing-labels-guide.php

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...