We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

my printer does not print labels accurately

FITZSIMMONDS

Likes # 0

I have Avery J8160 labels. My printer is HP Deskjet F380. I print out the labels perfectly positioned on plain A4, but on the labels they are just out of position and therefore useless. Holding the A4 printed sheet against a blank label sheet, both against the light, I can see that the size is correct. I'm sure I have chosen the correct label size [J8160] from the drop-down list in Microsoft Works. What to do?!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm not familiar with the HP but in some printers you have to select the paper type to be labels and also some labels feed in one direction only.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Do you use the template? But I must admit at times I also have the problem of the address not sitting correctly within the label, never figured out why, so will watch this thread with interest.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

One of the things that I sometimes do is put a small gap before the first line of the address and this helps with any mis-alignment.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Check your printers settings are set for the correct size of paper. Some HP printers cant be print to the full paper size and always leave either the top or the bottom margin unprinted.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Look carefully at your label sheet as sometimes the margin at top is different to the bottom and it is so easy to put label sheet in upside down. I find writing Top in pencil on margin makes sure I've fed it into printer right way up.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

lotvic

Hmm would never have thought of that. cheers.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

I found the same problem with an HP printer and the exact same Avery labels. I had limited success by changing the settings for the paper type (they seem to be quite thick labels) but the problem was immediately resolved when I switched to different labels altogether. I am now using Staples own brand, but there are others on the market that would do equally as well.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I had a similar problem (Not the same Printer though) when I tried putting a Box/Line/Frame around the address.

Removal of the box/line/frame solved the problem

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I would agree with Lotvic, I had a problem where the actual page margins on the sheet of paper were not the same top and bottom resulting in that at each session I needed to check orientation of the paper. I should aslo check that the size of print is set to A4, this is a common problem where the software for some reason or other defaults to the American size.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Avery J8160 A4 7x3 labels measurements: Top Margin 1.59, Vertical Pitch 3.81 (x7 =26.67), leaves 1.44 for bottom margin. Therefore the top of label sheet has a teeniest bigger margin than the bottom. Also I would hazard a guess the printer used could make some diff to the output (I know one I had seemed to have mind of it's own :))

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...