We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop will start but not display Win logon

NeilCh

Likes # 0

I have an Asus laptop with Win7. Recently it hasn't been booting up to the Windows login screen. However it does display that it's Launching Windows but then returns to a blank/black screen with just the mouse pointer. The HDD light shows something is still busy but then that goes out leaving the laptop at this screen with pointer and not going any further. I've then re-booted and used F8 to get to the list of commands. I have then tried almost all the commands available including 'Boot with last good configuration' and 'Safe modes' with no success. It hasn't been dropped but the user/son said it started running a Win update but he powered down and it hadn't finished. Any advice please would be gratefully received. Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The link I gave you to Windows 7 SP1 iso file will work to repair, as per the other link, or fresh install using the key at the bottom of the laptop. Just download your version of 7 through another PC and use an iso burner to burn to DVD.

For a fresh install you will need to use the free auto telephone verification.

If Chkdsk /R C and bootrec /fixboot doesn't work then it doesn't sound good for your hard drive.

Like this post
NeilCh

Likes # 0

burned iso file but when using it on offending laptop I just get a 'Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot media'.

burned iso file to the letter. When I use the previous Dell recovery CD it runs, so no idea now. Thanks for all your help though.

Like this post
NeilCh

Likes # 0

created another boot CD and this one works. But I get the same issue as I did with the original Dell boot CD in that it displays the repair or install box but the mouse pointer is instead the continuing circle 'aero' display and it won't let me click through to Next on the recovery options dialogue box. Unable to press the Space bar either as it won't accept that either. So currently stuck at the repair window.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Hard drive failure.

Like this post
NeilCh

Likes # 0

is there a way back from that? could i disconnect the drive?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes you could replace the drive and install windows 7 using the product key on the sticker on your laptop.

First try a remove refit of the HDD it may just be a bad connection.

Like this post
NeilCh

Likes # 0

thanks Dave and Fruitbat ~ almost certainly an hdd failure. Disconnected it and the boot from cd process got further than before, except now I don't have an hdd to reinstall to. When buying, do I aim for any hdd or look for the exact make and model of the drive I am replacing?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

you could put in a larger capacity drive if you wish.

It may fit in a caddy so the only thing you need to be careful of is the thickness 9mm - 9.5mm check before buying.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more