We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop will start but not display Win logon

NeilCh

Likes # 0

I have an Asus laptop with Win7. Recently it hasn't been booting up to the Windows login screen. However it does display that it's Launching Windows but then returns to a blank/black screen with just the mouse pointer. The HDD light shows something is still busy but then that goes out leaving the laptop at this screen with pointer and not going any further. I've then re-booted and used F8 to get to the list of commands. I have then tried almost all the commands available including 'Boot with last good configuration' and 'Safe modes' with no success. It hasn't been dropped but the user/son said it started running a Win update but he powered down and it hadn't finished. Any advice please would be gratefully received. Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
NeilCh

Likes # 0

sorry - blue screen message:

problem detected.

UNMOUNTABLEBOOTVOLUME

STOP: 0X0000000ed (0x8F1C85C8, 0XC000014F, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Info here. If you don't have a Windows 7 disc you can download from here. Select your version, Home Premiun 64-bit for examole and try the repair in the other link. Worth a try.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Examole is a word I just invented! You will need to use a burner that will burn the iso file to DVD.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

0X0000000ed is definitely a hard drive corruption problem

normal fix is to F8 to command prompt and run chkdsk /r

as your drive will not let you get there that you will need to do this from a Windows 7 DVD.

Like this post
NeilCh

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruitbat. I have a restore original Win 7 CD but how do I get the laptop to run the DVD drive as priority/boot source? Otherwise it'll keep kicking into the laptop and run from the c drive. Thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have you tried booting with the DVD in the drive as DVD first is usually the default setting?

Some laptops allow you to choose the boot device by pressing one of the F keys at start (F12)

or you can enter BIOS and look for Boot priority and set DVd drive as first boot device

What model of ASUS?????

Like this post
NeilCh

Likes # 0

It's a U32U model. Have tried with DVD already in drive. Tried F12 to launch BIOS but it doesn't work. Will persist. Thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

BIOS will be either del esc or F2

Like this post
NeilCh

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruitbat and Dave. I've been able to access BIOS and change the boot priority to read the DVD drive first. This takes me into booting from the DVD where I then get a screen asking my chosen Language. I change this and click Next where I can Install or Repair.

If I click Repair I get another window where I can either access drivers or Repair My PC as radio buttons with a Next option.

But, the mouse pointer is continually 'busy' ie shows the Aero spinning circle. I therefore cannot click on Repair, Next or anything else. I try to cycle through the options using the Tab key but that doesn't work either. The Repair option is pre-selected so I've tried the Space bar and Enter because the Next button has a shadow around it. I've left this screen for over an hour just in case there is something running in the background but that doesn't help. All to no avail.

If I start again and instead click Install, the screen then hangs at that point.

I just seem to be getting a little bit further but just not far enough.

What I don't have is the boot CD for the Asus - my son gave me the driver CD only. So I'm using a boot CD for a Dell. Is this making any difference? If it is, I can get the Asus boot CD and hopefully get this resolved.

Thanking you again in advance.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

using a boot CD for a Dell. Is this making any difference?

Yes you need the ome fir your machine

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote