We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bench marks for Intel i7 processors

RISC OS user
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have seen 2 Laptop PC's one from Sony with an i7 3632QM 2.2 GHz and a bench mark of 7114 and 6GB RAM and AMD Radeon HD7650M 1GB Graphics card. Prices at £739. Another which is a Toshiba Satellite L855-14K Laptop, Intel Core i7, 2.4GHz,(2.4 GHz to 3.4 GHz Turbo Boost) 8GB RAM, 1TB, 15.6", Silver from John Lewis with a bench mark of 7722. Priced at £699.95. My question is does the Bench Mark difference really matter in these two machines, also the John Lewis Laptop has Intel Graphics Card 4000 but shared RAM, the total RAM is 8GB. I will not use the Laptop for online gaming just the usual mundane things, my reason for wishing to change is that my present Laptop is so slow. The AMD quadcore with Radeon Dual Graphics which I was told was as quick as my i5 desktop which it is not, I was miss informed and the supplier would not take it back! Which machine will be the faster?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Does the benchmark score relate to the laptops, or just to the processors? From what source are the benchmarks? Off the top of my head, if all you want to do is 'mundane' stuff, I'd say the faster processor might deliver you better performance than the separate graphics card in the Sony. Either one should be a pretty quick machine, though.

Like this post
RISC OS user

Likes # 0

Thank you for you thread, the Bench Mark was for the Processor and I found it at... http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-3630QM+%40+2.40GHz

I have not thought of getting a Bench mark for the Laptops, I will try this.

Like this post  
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Benchmarkinga processor is fine, but it's like comparing the cc of a car engine. In theory, a 2.0 litre will outperform a 1.6 - but not if the former is a Kia and the latter is a Ferrari. It's at least as much about the other stuff as it is about engine size/processor benchmarks...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September