We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Defender v Avast in Windows 8 - Hmmm

onthelimit1

Likes # 0

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a thread where someone stated that if a third party AV was installed in W8 it automatically disabled Defender.

Imagine my surprise this morning when, on my PC with Avast, Defender popped up saying it had identified a problem (Hackfile or somesuch) and was cleaning it.

So, what is going on?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Avast is an antivirus, defender is antimalware. the article you read is incorrect.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm sorry but Fruit Bat is incorrect. It has changed with W8. Defender is like MSE in W8 (similar interface. See Microsoft article

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Correction Defender has replaced MSE in W8.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Correct - defender in W8 is a combined version of the old one and MSE. It is therefore AV and antimalware. still don't know why it popped up now I have Avast installed. This implies Def should be auto disabled when third party AV is installed

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

In Windows 8 and Windows RT, Windows Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Which version of Avast - is it the latest (v8)? Looking around the internet it seems that there have been some snags with Avast and W8, including not turning off Defender.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Sorry FB - very rare for me to contradict you, but:

MS article

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I saw that, and my quote was from the Note in the middle of the page.

Which using defender since XP days as an antimalware was the way I read it.

:0)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Until W8 Defender only protected against malware but it now protects against ant-virus as well. It replaces MSE which was also anti-virus.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

ps That doesn't mean that it is very good.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED