We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

certified toolbar removal from laptop

roadrunner63

Likes # 0

Hi. I have a problem with a bit of malicious software called 'Certified Toolbar. I'm pretty sure i am not the only one to have experience of this infection.

It started about 3 or 4 weeks ago, after i noted that my browser kept changing to the said search page.

What i know of this through some research i have done, & how to remove it, the answers are basically the same, in that it is a nasty Browser hyjacker,no matter what browser you use. I also understand that it does this, for other peoples web marketing purposes. I have also found out, again through looking at other peoples knowledge of this, is that it hides itself very well,& makes removing it COMPLETELY difficult. I have found recently, that it is now affecting my searches,causing the web page to close down,& open up again.

The information offered, for removing this annoying bug, is fairly constant.That you need to use a good anti virus remover...in which i have tried with Spybot S+D,Symantec,AVG,Best Uninstall Tool,PCTools,File Assassin,Max Uninstaller...all to no avail. The advice also includes,going into Program & Features in the control panel,& deleting it from there. Then to go into Tools, & Internet Options, & deleting it from there,& setting it then to your browser page. I have also gone into Safe Mode to try & remove it from there,but it didn't exist there either.

All these i have tried, & have come to the conclusion, that the virus is in the registry.

Not being a skilled pc/laptop techie, i can istall & uninstall programs as most people can, after messing around with them for a couple of years. If i need to go into the registry, how do i do this? Once there,how do i find 'Certified Toolbar' & remove it,WITHOUT causing further problems? Unfortunately,i don't have much experience of going into the registry,but am capable of doing so,with the right guidence.

I am running an Extensa 5235 lapton on Windows 7 Pro+SP1. Apart from the Microsoft Security Essentials that comes with it, i also have Spybot S+D,Symantec Endpoint Protection,& Advanced System Protector.

I apologise my letter is so long,but have tried to keep it as short as possible,& give as much info as i could. I think there's enough here.

If anybody could help & advise me about this,i nwould be very grateful.

It's a very annoying,& depressing virus, & if there is no help out there,there's only one alternative....then it's going out of an EIGHTH FLOOR window....Ozzy Osbourne style!

Many Thanks for taking the time & trouble to read this,& hope you can help.

roadrunner63

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Fully detailed instructions to remove it on http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-search.certified-toolbar.com-hijacker all the programs/tools you need are free ones afaik. Please read the whole page and do the print out of instructions before you take any action. bleepingcomputer.com is a well respected website and their guides are frequently recommended on pca forum.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you think it's sorted, you can close this thread by clicking on one of the big grey ticks at the right of any post and it will turn green. When page is refreshed the Thread will be marked 'Resolved'

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger