We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC turns off a few seconds after on

lucozade9

Likes # 0

I have a 7 year old HP, P4 desktop running xp, that this evening when I have tried to turn it on, has started up but then the extreme fan comes on and after varying amounts of time then turns off like the powerlead has been cut. The amount of time it will turn on for varies from about 3 seconds to about 25 seconds so sometimes gets as far as wanting to start boot up and other times turning off at the HP logo.

For about the past 3 months the screen has not started straight away when I turned it on and I presumed it now needed to warm up, however restarting it would also do the same thing and thus the screen is actually fine. Now however the screen is turning on straight away when I press the desktop power button so I am thinking this is linked.

Maybe the psu?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have you given it a good clean up inside lately if not maybe time to do it.

Make sure the fans heatsink and air vents are clear of dust and fluff.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Agreed Overheat Cpu fan and heat sink will need cleaning.

Do any other fans at same time

Like this post
lucozade9

Likes # 0

I've cleaned the inside which was pretty dusty but it is still doing the same. Any further ideas?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Considering that the computer is 7 years old, I would ask if there have been any changes to components or regular maintenance in that time. Parts can and indeed do get 'worn', and this can lead to a number of hints that something is about to give.

The 'fault' would appear to as others have suggested, or even a PSU problem, if that unit is 7 years old.

When you dusted out the computer, did you check to see if everything was seating correctly?.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have you taken the fan off the heatsink? bet there is a thick layer of dust between them.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks