We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Downloading program to USB stick?

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have never had need to use a USB stick, but recently I have downloaded some programs which give an option to run from computer as well as to download to USB stick. Some programs give no reference to download and save to stick.

Perhaps a silly question to some, but how do I transfer a downloaded program from a computer to a USB stick, that the program doesn't provide an option to do this?.

I am sure that I could possibly get this information from a search on the internet, but personal experiences from a more experienced audience on problems, what sticks are best etc is possibly my best and easier option?.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

option to run from computer as well as to download to USB stick.

It may be what's called a portable version of the program

i.e. it does not need to place anything in the windows registry to be able to run

therefore it will run on any machine you plug the USB drive into.

(viruses work like this to spread from machine to machine just like in the old days of floppy disks).

I run several kinds of portable programs you can even get a whole operating system to boot from and run off a USB drive (windows is quite hard to do but several kinds of linux are made especially to do this we use it to recover data from machine that will not boot into windows.

Have a look at http://portableapps.com/

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

If you want to use the Program on another PC that is not on the Net. When you download the Program, chose Save, rather than Run. Note, or change, where it is saved to (Your Desktop is best, where it will appear as a file)

Plug in the USB drive and Copy & Paste the file into it.

Later, plug the USB Drive into the recipient PC, Copy & Paste the File from the Drive to the PC. Double Click the file and it will either install itself or open and you will have to chose Install.exe or Set-up.exe or similar.

Like this post  
spuds

Likes # 0

Thanks guys- Looks like I have most of the answer.

Couple more questions- What is the ideal USB stick for this type of procedures (make/capacity?).

Will the downloads override, or can each program be 'locked' into place. I assume Fruit Bat linked application, might have the answer there?.

Will tick as resolved, but add further. Alls appreciated.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

ideal USB stick

isn't really one but there are some fakes out there so I avoid the ultra cheap ones.

I have used many different types but have a couple of Emtec 16G an 32G I have used a lot for work purposes without problem.

I think wee eddie is talking about saving a downloaded file from one PC to put on another PC rather than running a program from the usb stick.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

FB: That I was as, as far as I know, there are only a limited number of programs that will run from a USB Drive without being installed on the Target PC.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

wee eddie

there are probably a lot more than you think have alook at the portable apps link I posted earlier.

;0)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone