We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

formatting hard drive to reload windows 7

peterdee

Likes # 0

hi i recently tired loading windows 7 onto my computer and i may have accidentally deleted a partition or the hard drive drivers as when windows failed to load i found it wouldnt load and when windows asked if i wanted to format hard drive disk c and i said yes it told me windows could not format drive as drive was read only and to check up on how to alter it back to write what i would like to know is there any programs that will allow me to format disk ready for loading of windows o.s. or how to make it writeable again rather than having to take it into a shop to get it done yours in anticipation peter denman.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\, How about taking problem harddrive out and connecting it to other pc (pentium4) as extra hard drive and formatting it that way. peterdee Are the hard drive(s) SATA or IDE?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes that should work but of course but would need to be put back into the other machine before attempting to install w7

Like this post
peterdee

Likes # 0

hi am having difficulty its a s.o.b. trying to get to it as its a hewlett packard midi size case and i feel they didnt want people to get to things like the hard drive as the side of the case the h.drives at is rivetted on so looks like i may have to remove the dvd r/w/to get to it will have a good look today somebody else suggested trying f.disk but i do not know the sequence nor did they or maybe a program like acronis to re-format it not to sure if thes progs would do it but something like that could be easier than having to remove the optical drive etc what do you helpful people think.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

just a couple of weeks ago I came up against the problem of removing the HD from an HP machine. After a lot of head scratching I found it to be quite simple. Here's how it's done remove Hard drive from HP

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Found guide with pics of how to remove drive hp support

Like this post
peterdee

Likes # 0

thanks its great help the pentium 4 that im using for now doesnt have sata drive so can still connect sata drive from h.p.machine to allow me to format drive

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

peterdee Was that a question ? If so you can get such as the following

Sata, Ide hard drive adaptor

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No sata connections on the P4 motherboard? then you would need to put the drive in a caddy and connect via USB.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

One point to note, the problem old C: when hooked up to the Pent4 will no longer be called C: The Pent4 will assign it a new Letter so make sure you format the correct new Letter partition. When you put the prob hard drive back into it's own pc the partition you have just formatted will revert back to being C:

When hd is back in it's own pc, boot up without the w7 dvd in. This is to make sure bios setup is recognising harddware. It will come up on screen that it can't find a bootable device. To switch off the pc hold the power button in for about 5-10 seconds until it powers off.

Now boot up again into the bios setup and put the cd/dvd drive as 1st boot device. You can put the dvd in before you switch off ready to startup again to boot from the W7 dvd. Watch out for the brief prompt that says 'Press any key to boot from CD/DVD' and press space bar or any key.

Like this post
peterdee

Likes # 0

hi i would like to say thank you very much to everyone for your suggestions and replies hssutton lotvic and fruitbat the last option from lotvic worked and i have got my hard drive back working properly and re-installed in my computer thank you again yours peter denman.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger