We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Virus Help

BT
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just had a phone call from a friend in Coventry who has got a virus on here PC. She is disabled and relies it for shopping etc. The virus shows up as a picture of a Policeman and she's totally locked out. Can't even get into Safe Mode and doesn't have any discs.

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Maybe download this to a USB stick and run it on affected computer.

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/eek/

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Another that you can try.

http://www.surfright.nl/en

Try this one first if you can.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

BT

I was not thinking properly you probably don't stay anywhere near Coventry so you probably cant do it yourself.

Maybe have a read at this.

Click here

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Jock1e

Thanks,

Lots of useful info there. As you say I'm nowhere near Coventry but I've printed it out and will post it to her. She's phoned back to say she has someone coming to look at the PC this afternoon so hopefully it will be sorted, but I will leave the thread open for the time being.

Like this post  
spuds

Likes # 0

I have just opened the last link from Jock1e, and attempted to download the emsisoft program from that link and page, with the result that the file is apparently corrupted or something?.

So perhaps best to try and get the download from bleeping computer download selection tab on their home page or direct from Emsisoft.com?.

Would mention the program is 224MB, about 5 minutes on 'average connection'.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Problem overcome by reformatting Hard Drive. Unfortunately our friend is limited in what she can access and had to call in a Computer repair man, who took it away to work on. He managed to salvage her files etc. and then installed Win 7 for her in place of XP, and AVG to try to protect her in future. Only downside it cost her £175.

Like this post
RobCharles1981

Likes # 0

Jock1e

Had the right lines of removal there.

But in future there's a channel on youtube called "Britech09" and I can guarantee he covered that ransomware in a video!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer