We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is this a windows problem or a driver problem,, or a hardware problem

xania
Resolved

Likes # 0

I recently purchased 3 Brother HL 2310 printers. Two were installed immedaitel;y and have been working fine - the third was kept as a reserve. Then one of the other printers finally gave up the ghost and the reserve 2130 installed on that Windows XP PC. Afterone week that 3rd printer started reporting no paper incorrectly and, knowing the operator, today decided to do a swap with one of the other printers. However, this afternoon this replacement started reporting no paper. OK - not a printer problem. I totally uninstalled the driver, did a safe reboot and a normal reboot and then and reinstalled the driver. Within minutes, same problem. OK not a driver problem. So that leaves operator or Windows.

Any thought on what could be a Windows problem, or how I can prove its NOT a Windows problem, because I can't see how it can be an operator problem (although she has wrecked 3 PCs and 3 printers in 3 years).

Not in the office now until Wednesday morning, but it certainly wouldbe helpful if I could do/say something then.

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

Have you ruled out any OS differences there may be between the computers? Faulty leads/loose connections/biscuit crumbs etc? Electrical interference around the offending computer and/or at certain times only?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Found this: An A - Z of common error messages that may be displayed on the Status Monitor. Here's the one under N for No Paper You have to press the 'Go' button after you've put more paper in the tray. It will return the No Paper error if paper in tray is not straight.

Also might be best to check correct procedure is followed when using the manual feed slot. Apparently it's automatically selected if paper has been fed into it prior to print job being sent to printer.

Like this post  
xania

Likes # 0

Polymath - yes all done

Lotvic - thanks for those links. I have passed them to the user as I am out of the office now until next Wednesday.

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

No reflection on your expertise of course, lotvik! Lengthy troubleshooting sessions tend to do my head in. Maybe it's just me, but after a while I can't see the wood for the trees.

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

And that's with just 2 computers & 1 printer, and being the sole user!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015