We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is this a windows problem or a driver problem,, or a hardware problem

xania
Resolved

Likes # 0

I recently purchased 3 Brother HL 2310 printers. Two were installed immedaitel;y and have been working fine - the third was kept as a reserve. Then one of the other printers finally gave up the ghost and the reserve 2130 installed on that Windows XP PC. Afterone week that 3rd printer started reporting no paper incorrectly and, knowing the operator, today decided to do a swap with one of the other printers. However, this afternoon this replacement started reporting no paper. OK - not a printer problem. I totally uninstalled the driver, did a safe reboot and a normal reboot and then and reinstalled the driver. Within minutes, same problem. OK not a driver problem. So that leaves operator or Windows.

Any thought on what could be a Windows problem, or how I can prove its NOT a Windows problem, because I can't see how it can be an operator problem (although she has wrecked 3 PCs and 3 printers in 3 years).

Not in the office now until Wednesday morning, but it certainly wouldbe helpful if I could do/say something then.

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Sorry - that should be HP 2130

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Haven't looked at manual but is there any way to reset the printer firmware, if you haven't got the manual there is a link to it on page link - see below or you could try updating the firmware.

You could try to print a test page from the control panel (printer not connected to pc) Brother Solutions

Like this post
xania

Likes # 0

Hi Lotvic. Thanks for your comments. However, as I said, I've ruled out the printer itself as a cause of the problem, and I'm now looking at Windows itself as a possible cause. However, I will also ask Brother Solutions if they've any ideas.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I know it's not going to be of any help --- I have one of those users. 'I got something funny on the screen so I just pressed a few button now my PC wont work'!

Like this post
SparkyJack

Likes # 0

How did paper problem check out

peper does have a print side surprisingly-usually indi cated by an arrow on the wrapper.

It is possible it is in tray wrong side up for the paper path, therefore it is not feeding. so try rurning the stack over.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

SparkyJack - I haven't seen any standard paper with an arrow for a long time. It would be irrelevant for double sided printing. Most paper, apart from photo paper, is double sided.

xania - I'm a bit confused because I cannot find a Brother HP-2130. Inkjet or laser?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Possibly a stupid question - but printing from Word and the operator has previously chosen manual feed tray and it is defaulting to that?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I have a different printer but when mine has run out of paper and I put some more in the tray I have to press OK (either on the printer or the onscreen prompt) before printer knows I've filled the tray up.

Could it be that simple?

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Woolwell, It's this one, Click here

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

From this Click here

Please confirm that you have installed both a toner cartridge and a drum unit in the machine. If you have not installed a drum unit or have installed the drum unit improperly, then this may cause a paper jam in your Brother machine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers