We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Live Mail misbehaving

pellim

Likes # 0

I run Windows 7 on my laptop. Suddenly my email program is playing up. I'm not able to download all my mail, just a few, most of which I can't open. I can't access any stored mail, as the Inbox, Sent, etc menu on the left is grayed out. I got it to appear briefly in black, but it froze. I thought I could access internet sites normally, but this evening I clicked on a web site and the computer shut down, displaying the dreaded blue screen. I've run the Microsoft scan and repair program. It seems to indicate that the hard drive is clean. But something is badly wrong. My pre-installed Security software recently ran out and I installed Microsoft Security Essentials. I also run a couple of spyware programs. I thought I was completely protected. I'd be so grateful for any help.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Have you uninstalled your previous anti virus software? If not this may be conflicting with MSE. Don't know wether that would cause the problems you're having but it certainly won't help.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

First of all which spyware programs are you running? Is there a conflict? Have you tried disabling them to find out? When you installed MSE did you uninstall the pre-installed security software? Have you tried to restore the PC to an earlier date? Remember if you do this to before you installed MSE then you will have your original security software. Was there any time that the PC was not covered by an anti-virus protection?

If you are successful in returning the PC to an earlier date before the problems started you could install MSE and uninstall the pre-installed security software.

You could also try running malwarebytes free

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If using Hotmail .Outlook.or live.co.uk mail go to the website for them and open them there.

Add you username and password and you should get all of your mail.

If so go back to Windows live mail and see if it now works.

If not go to Add remove click on windows live essentials ,click on change.Then repair and it will ask you what program you want to change,click on mail then click on repair.See if that helps.

Like this post
pellim

Likes # 0

Thanks very much to all three responders. I had uninstalled my previous security software without leaving a dangerous gap. I have been running malwarebytes. However, I'll try disabling my anti-spy ware program.I'll also try your suggestion, Jock1e. Regarding going back to an earlier state, I last backed up about a week ago on an external drive, but I'm really nervous about doing the job of restoring my email program.
Two things to try first. I'll report back.

Like this post
pellim

Likes # 0

I've removed my anti-spy program - no discernable difference. I've slso run the Windows Live Essentials repair job (all programs).That has reinstated the mail menu on the left ie Inbox, etc. The centre and righthand side have odds and ends of mail appearing at random. So thank you Jock1e, I've got a bit further on. Though I haven't got control of the menu at least it's there.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'