We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3) ...errors on laptop hard disk.

Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is Acer.

A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3) ... File record segment 28112 is unreadable.

File record segment 28113 is unreadable.

File record segment 28114 is unreadable.

File record segment 28115 is unreadable.

............... and so on...

2 percent complete. (28129 of 96256 file records processed)

My question is:-

Should I replace the hard disk?

I've tried to fix the problem ... but getting nowhere fast!

Thanks in advance.

[It's an ACER ASPIRE 5742z, 320GB western Digital HDD, windows 64-bit, 2 years old]

PS I have bought a replacement 500GB HDD and have got BACKUPs to restore to it if i DO have to replace the original HD, but don't have a Windows 7 DVD.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

If it automatically goes to the disc scan more than once a week then yes.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Did you tick both boxes so that it would repair any problems it found.

My computer.right click C drive.Tools Scan now or check now and tick both boxes then you have to reboot.

Acer hard drives do not seem to last very long for some reason.My Granddaughters was only 15mths old when it went.

Maybe wait until someone else can give you better advice before running the Disk check again just in case you have to make a back up first.

Not sure if sfc /scannow would help or not.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

wiz-king - I was heading down that road, but i'll wait a wee while, to see what other folk have to say.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Ok - Jock1e.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

You will want the one with SP1 on it.

Windows ISO

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

Try and save your back to factory settings as you will loose that when you download W/7.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Jock1e - I'll be able to download that ISO from my sister's house as she has got fast broadband if the backups don't work [hopefully they will ... i'm using Ocster Backup Pro, which seems to work well on other computers].

PS. My sister took it back to Argos and they 'hit' her with a bill for £115 to repair the laptop [ie to replace the HD].

I hope I can fixit for a lot less :o]

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

How do I save the 'factory settings'?

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

Just had the same problem with a SSD. Ended up formating it, after retrieving and saving all my profiles, and then using my Acronis to clone it using my backup clone.Will be interested to see if the problem reoccurs.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Some more info on the ACER laptop's faulty HD:-

The faulty 320GB HDD, has a 'recovery parition' of about 20gb ... which I have succesfully used to restore the laptop to 'factory settings' on two occasions; but HD errors occur, and laptop goes 'belly-up' after a few reboots.

Can this 'recovery partition' be salvaged / transferred to the new 500gb HD?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?