We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to keep folders 'in their place' within a folder?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I have a folder of downloads (Not the Windows default one) that i arrange in a certain order but every now and then when i go back in to the folder they all appear in in alphabetical order.

Is there a way that i can keep the contents of this folder in the order that i want, please?

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Place a number in front of the download name such as 001,002 etc.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thanks but i mean that i keep some in the top left hand corner of the folder, some in the top right hand corner etc. So having them in alphabetical/numerical order wont actually help me?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hello, anyone?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What folder view are you using? Tiles? Icons?

I'm sure its the width of the window that may be moving the Tiles/Icons

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I believe that this is because the previous ability to disable auto-arranged ha been abandoned in Windows 7 - have a read of this article and the links that show you how to do a registry fix that may reinstate this.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

re: as per hssutton advised at Today at 3:02PM

"So having them in alphabetical/numerical order wont actually help me"

It should, try it before you discount it. Rename the existing files inside the folder by adding a number and underscore in front of present name. Like this, 001_presentname.jpg (jpg or exe or whatever it is)

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Difarn, i apologise, i should have explained that Im using Vista.

Fruitbat, Im using medium icons and have unticked 'auto arrange'.

lotvic, apologies, perhaps me explaining a bit more will help- i kept all the video folders on the right hand side of the screen and the audio on the right hand side of the screen and the 'downloading' files at the bottom.

Does this make it clearer?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I think that buel is talking about the position of Folders on his desktop - Yes?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, No, I am actually trying to explain that I mean the files within a folder?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

As noted above, the only way to order Files within a Folder needs to be based on their File Names.

Either alphabetically, numerically or a combination of the two.

For example 001, 002, 003, 004, etc.

or a, b, c, d,

or even 001, 002, 003a, 003b, 003c, 004 where 003 is a series.

You can also have Folders, within Folders, within Folders. I believe that the length of the Name is limited to 128 characters, which includes the Folder Name and any separating /'s

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more