We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Asus 210 Silent & XFX Radeon 5450 graphics cards

MikeyLS

Likes # 0

I have several Fujitsu/Siemens Scaleo P desktop PCs (Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 2Gb memory, Asus motherboard, WinXP) into which I would like to put a low-cost but more suitable graphics card with HDMI out for video playback.

I've tried an Asus 210 Silent but the PC hangs on Windows bootup. All old drivers/utilities removed, spent ages with no success. Even tried a 2nd card (and another identical PC). PC fires up fine in Safe Mode. As soon as the NVidia drivers are loaded it hangs on bootup again. Asus and NVidia support simply not any help.

Then tried an XFX Radeon 5450 card (and a 2nd card and PC). Now the PC won't boot at all, won't display anything and PC doesn't even bleep after being switched on. Fans continue to run fast. The PSU in the PC is 300W so tried a 500W but that made no difference.

Just wondering about the PCIe specs . . . would that have any influence?

Now quite frustrated as I don't seem to have got anywhere with either card. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Just wondering about the PCIe specs . . . would that have any influence?

Possibly

What spec your machine 16x 8x in comparision to what card requires?

anything in BIOS you can set to alter PCIe speed?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

You have a PCI-E x 16 so in theory you really should not be having any problems with either of the two cards you have so far fitted and as they have very low power requirements your existing PSU will be more than sufficient.

What makes this problem more interesting is that it happens on an identical PC which would suggest that as Fruit Bat has suggested that there may be some setting in the BIOS that needs altering. Though I am at a loss to think what that might be until I can get a look at the PC manual.

Hmm, found the manual but nothing of any help there.Here are the specs. Will give it some thought and get back to you hopefully with a solution unless someone else does meantime.

Like this post
MikeyLS

Likes # 0

Thanks Fruit Bat & Chronos the 2nd! I took a look at the settings screen (with the old graphics card inserted) and there is a page titled "Advanced PCI/PnP Settings" the meaning of which is beyond me! Can forward a jpg if that helps . . . but not sure whether I can attach anything to this post??

However, the fact that the Asus works in default and Safe mode suggests that's not a PCI thing, or does it?

At the end of the day I don't care which of the cards I use, just as long as they work properly!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Use Photobucket to upload your images. Create an account upload your image/s then click on an image you will see a box on the right entitled Image Links all you need to do is copy what's in the Direct Link box and paste it here. Make sure that the album of images is public not private else I will not be able to view them.

Like this post
MikeyLS

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data