We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

why do we have windows 8

wmtdunn

Likes # 0

Does any one know what Microsoft attempted to accomplish when they developed and released Windows 8

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

They thought touch screen and cloud base software use via "apps" was the way the market was going.

An op system base on phones and tablets how ever doesn't seem to have taken off with desktop machines.

We had a discussion a while ago in speakers corner about the lack of desktop choice, last Xmas the sales emphasis was definitely about tablets

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I recently bought a laptop with W8 and touchscreen and having read all of the negative reports of W8 I now find that I am pleasantly surprised. Very quick boot up, easy to navigate (doesn't look like earlier versions using Metro but the desktop is very similar) and my only gripe is the power off. Oh and why call it charms?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

New version coming in the summer at some stage maybe that will sort a few of the problems out.

Windows Blue and it maybe free for those that already have W/8.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Microsoft is a Company that exists to make money.

Windows 8 is designed to keep that income flowing.

In order to persuade people to buy the new OS it muse be different, or an an improvement, on the previous iteration.

That's about itreally. All else stems from this.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I dont! And will resist the change as long as possible.

I think the whole 'apps' idea is a recipe for disaster, it introduces a whole system for incompatibility between programs and for the introduction of malware.

Neither do I think that having one of my major programs 'Office' in the cloud is a good idea as the next release seems to be. I dont mind paying for it, or even paying for six-monthly updates but I want it to be on my machine.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

wiz-king - Office 365 is in the cloud but Office 2013 is not. Apps are fine, there isn't malware problem if, as you should, you use a good set of security tools.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

One Ring to rule them all

One Ring to find them

One Ring to bring them all

and in the darkness bind them

As well as betting on the Cloud, Microsoft believe that there is a market opportunity for a single operating system that crosses all platforms - phones, tablets, laptops, desktops and more. Conceptually, it's s great idea - people transfer their OS knowledge from one platform to another, rather than having to 'learn' a different operating environment (e.g. Android). However, key to the phone/tablet experience is touch - but touch doesn'tr translate well (IMHO) to the desktop environment and, again IMHO, you get a very clunky user interface if you don't have (or wnat to use) a touch screen. I understand that the big, blocky UI can be turned off in W8 in the desktop environment - but then, it seems to me, you just have W7 with a strong Cloud orientation.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Roll on Windows 9.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

woolwell

the power off options can be added to the right click on the desktop, with no need to goto charms, a charms shortcut can also be added to the desktop.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/19527-charms-bar-shortcut-create-windows-8-a.html

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4992-shut-down-add-desktop-context-menu-windows-8-a.html

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

sunnystaines - Thanks. I find that with a touch screen I can quickly get to the charms and power off without adding a shortcut. However I still think it was a poor decision to place it there. It certainly doesn't charm or cast a spell over me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes