We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

First System Build need advice on parts etc

Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

Hi guys, I'm looking at making the switch over from console to pc gaming and I'm currently saving to build my first tower.

I've picked some parts already under recommendation from other forums etc.

Asus GTX 660 GPU, Asus P8Z77 V LX motherboard, i5 3550 CPU, 8gb 1600 MHz. Corsair Vengeance (2x4gb)

Are these parts ok for a gaming tower? I'm not gonna be overclocking anytime soon. I'm mainly looking at playing BF3 (not on ultra mega settings) and skyrim etc.

Also can anyone recommend a PSU and case? I seem to be turning into a Corsair fan boy so I think it's time for experienced opinions. And would it be worth me buying a small SSD along with a HDD?

Go easy on me. My last bit of tech was a DV6299 laptop that burned out just from a bit of WoW. Just a bit off the topic, are laptops really bad for gaming?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

"Would I be better off buying an OC Edition GPU?"

Depends on the price, if the cost push's it nearer to the 660Ti then it would make sense to pay the extra and get that.

"Would you have any recommendations on Processor, I was looking at an i5 3550 or i5 3570K"

I would go for the 3550 as there is little difference between the two.

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

There are a few OC Editions that are only a little bit more than the standard 660 so it might be worth it.

I've noticed that you can buy the 3550 as retail or OEM. What's the difference? There is a slight price difference but I'm not sure why.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I believe the OEM will not come with a cooler so you would need to buy a separate one.

You could of course over-clock the cheaper GTX660 yourself thus saving you money.

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

So should I avoid the OEM versions?

Thanks for all the help. I've got a rough idea of what I'm going to go for now.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If you need any further help you know where to find me.lol.

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

One last question.

Should I avoid the OEM versions of processors and just buy the standard processor?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

That is entirely up to you,if you are going to buy a separate cooler then buy OEM if you want the stock cooler,which are much better these days then get the retail. My opinion ,for what it's worth, is get the retail as it gives you a spare cooler even if you are buying a separate one.

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

Great, so no real need to buy OEM.

Would you recommend 32mb cache or 64mb on the HDD?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If price/features are the same, choose the higher cache.64mb cache is mostly hype, and you won't actually notice a difference.

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

Ah right ok.

Would you recommend Western Digital over Seagate?

Or is there a better brand of HDD?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...