We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

First System Build need advice on parts etc

Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

Hi guys, I'm looking at making the switch over from console to pc gaming and I'm currently saving to build my first tower.

I've picked some parts already under recommendation from other forums etc.

Asus GTX 660 GPU, Asus P8Z77 V LX motherboard, i5 3550 CPU, 8gb 1600 MHz. Corsair Vengeance (2x4gb)

Are these parts ok for a gaming tower? I'm not gonna be overclocking anytime soon. I'm mainly looking at playing BF3 (not on ultra mega settings) and skyrim etc.

Also can anyone recommend a PSU and case? I seem to be turning into a Corsair fan boy so I think it's time for experienced opinions. And would it be worth me buying a small SSD along with a HDD?

Go easy on me. My last bit of tech was a DV6299 laptop that burned out just from a bit of WoW. Just a bit off the topic, are laptops really bad for gaming?

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

I have used Scan many times , and also have a system built by them . Never had a problem , and system is very well built and has been 100 % reliable since first boot up in july last year

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

Brilliant! I'll have at look at them for parts.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

+1 for scan, I have never had a system built by them as I prefer to build my own but it is my first choice for parts. Of course it helps that I get free next day delivery.

Another couple of places to look at are Ebuyer and CCL computers.

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

I've looked into the Fractal cases for M-ATX and they have some really nice stuff. I've got a few more questions.

Is water cooling needed or will a few fans do the trick?

What is the big difference between M-ATX and ATX motherboards (besides size)?

If I'm not going to be overclocking, should I avoid overclocking processors and GPU? (Correct me if I'm wrong but are the Ti editions of GPU's from nvidia for overclocking)?

And finally, do I have to buy a different sized PSU if I'm using a M-ATX case?

Sorry for all the questions. It seems that building a tower won't be difficult once I've got all the information I need... Hopefully.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

"Is water cooling needed or will a few fans do the trick?"

Water cooling is not needed. Most cases will come with fans but you may need to add the odd one.

"What is the big difference between M-ATX and ATX motherboards (besides size)?"

Most current mATX boards offer nearly the same feature sets as the ATX not as many PCI slots, so other than size (and perhaps power consumption) they are quite similar.

"Correct me if I'm wrong but are the Ti editions of GPU's from nvidia for overclocking)?"

No, Ti cards are better than non-Ti versions, but not as powerful as moving up another model.

"do I have to buy a different sized PSU if I'm using a M-ATX case?"

No a M-ATX case will take a normal full size PSU.

Any other questions do not hesitate to ask.

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

Ok great.

I've read that the Ivy bridge processors can get quite hot. Is this a problem with all of them or is it mainly aimed at the overclocked (K versions?)?

What would I need more PCI slots for? GPU?

If the Ti are the slightly better versions of the non Ti would it worth me just going up to the next card i.e. GTX 660 - GTX 670?

Can you recommend a brand for GPU (Asus/ Msi etc) I've heard good things about Asus (with their motherboards etc).

And should I look into Modular or non modular PSU? Is 80+ Bronze ok?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

"I've read that the Ivy bridge processors can get quite hot."

If you are concerned about this then a heatsink/cooler upgrade will take care of that.

"What would I need more PCI slots for? GPU?"

Not a GPU as that fits into a PCI-E slot. As for what you might need PCI slots for,Sound card, TV card, USB card but it is unlikely that you would ever need all the slots an ATX motherboard would come with.

"If the Ti are the slightly better versions of the non Ti would it worth me just going up to the next card i.e. GTX 660 - GTX 670?"

As I do not know what GPU you have in mind to buy it is difficult to answer your question. I went from a HD 6870 to an Asus DirectCU 11 GTX 670 which was a massive leap and I bought mine shortly after they were released and cost quite a bit of cash. But it is a fantastic card and will handle anything I throw at it maxed out without any trouble. So it really comes down to how much you are prepared to spend. I have heard good things about the 660Ti so I would go for that.

"Can you recommend a brand for GPU"

Asus, Sapphire, Evga, Gigabyte.

"And should I look into Modular or non modular PSU? Is 80+ Bronze ok?"

I prefer modular as there are less cables to tidy away and of course you only use the cables that you need. Something like this is perfect and probably one of the best brands out there. Corsair.

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

I'm not worried about the heating issue (I'm not totally sure if it's actually an issue or if people are just trying to find fault with them.

Would I need a sound card, tv card, USB card? (Do they not come on the motherboard?)

I had the GTX 660 in mind (a lot of people said that for the money it's quite a good buy).

I guess the modular PSU would be good in an M-ATX tower to save a bit of space.

Also, I've looked at 120gb SSD and noticed that OCZ seem to be a lot cheaper than Corsair. Are OCZ any good?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

"Would I need a sound card, tv card, USB card? (Do they not come on the motherboard?)"

I doubt it and yes you get plenty of USB sockets on the motherboard.

"I've looked at 120gb SSD and noticed that OCZ seem to be a lot cheaper than Corsair. Are OCZ any good?"

I have used both and to us ordinary users there will be no noticeable difference.

Nothing wrong with the GTX660 the Ti version would be better but it is a big jump in cost so stick with the 660 it will play any games on high settings.

Like this post
Viowithcrailtap

Likes # 0

Would you have any recommendations on Processor, I was looking at an i5 3550 or i5 3570K.

I'll hunt out a fair priced 660. Would I be better off buying an OC Edition GPU?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...