We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

External Hard Disk installing Problem

Salamander7
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am trying to use an Iomega 1 Tb external USB Hard Drive (Iomega GDHDU) with a desktop computer using Win XP Home Edition. When I plug in the usb I get an error message:

Windows cannot load installer for volume. Contact harware vendor.

I have tried plugging in before boot up and after boot up with the same problem. I use the drive with another XP computer without problem. Could this be upsetting the computer in question?

Anyone got any ideas for solutions? The problem system is Pentium 4 2.98 GHz with 2Gb of memory. The internal Hard Drive is 160gb.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Take a look here enter link description here

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

XP cannot recognise the size of the drive

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

Windows XP should detect drives upto 2Tb.

Googled this

"Hi. I started getting the same error message when I tried connecting a PNY Flash Drive to my USB port. Here's what worked for me. This may be unique because I caused the problem myself.

Like many people who are trying to speed up Windows or slim down files or tweak this and adjust that, I use some (not so reliable) hints and tips I have read. I followed certain steps posted at an url called "How can I delete undeletable folders?", wherein a poster named "**" gave instructions for removing Netmeeting, MSN Gaming Zone, Xerox, Movie Maker, and Microsoft Frontpage from the Program Files folder. Seemed like a plan to me. But then, as I recall, Custer had one, too. Unfortunately, blindly following his advice and renaming SFCFILES.DLL to SFCFILES.OLD and then removing these folders in Safe Mode caused the "device installer error". I deduced this by restoring the system day by day backwards until the error messages went away. Renaming SFCFILES.OLD back to SFCFILES.DLL and rebooting XP made the folders come back and the error messages go away. My Nikon D70 is back and the PNY Flash drive loads just fine, thank you very much.

I won't question it too much. I'm just glad it's solved."

from

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-could-not-load-installer-33993.html

worth a go.

Like this post
Salamander7

Likes # 0

I have not renamed any folders or deleted any Win core programmes though I have deleted some unwanted programmes but only via add remove programmes. I dont know.. I'll try to find SFCFILES and see if they are damaged in some way.

Like this post
Salamander7

Likes # 0

Would a re-install of Windows cure the problem??

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Thats probably over the top

try this first

Open a command prompt by clicking START, then RUN, then typing CMD and clicking OK.

Type in cd c:\windows\system32 or cd %systemroot%\system32 if your system drive is any letter other than C:.

Type COPY %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dllcache\SFCFILES.DLL . /Y and press ENTER.

Then type COPY %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dllcache\SYSSETUP.DLL . /Y and press ENTER.

Then type COPY %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\dllcache\storprop.dll . /Y and press ENTER.

Now type EXIT to exit the Command Console

restart your computer.

Like this post
Salamander7

Likes # 0

Thank you Fruitbat. After I typed in the line about SFCFILES.DLL and pressed enter I got a message saying "system cannot find the file specified." When I typed the next line regarding SYSSETUP.DLL I got exactly the same message. At this point I decided not to continue. Obviously the files are missing from system 32 so I guess I need to find a way of getting them back? Or am I misunderstanding something here?

HELP!! I guess I need someone who is able to explain how to get the missing files back where they belong.

Like this post
Salamander7

Likes # 0

Anyone out there with any ideas?

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Repair XP

Start - Run - Type

sfc /scannow

Press enter

system file checker will scan for and replace missing or corrupt windows files, this may take awhile to complete and if your XP was not pre installed may ask for the XP Cd to be inserted in the CD drive.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...