We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

win xp disk authenticty

jon2

Likes # 0

I was hoping to reload my win xp but when I come to the part where you have to put in the authenticty No. the one I have thats on the machine is not long enought, its only 14 digits long, and of course the software refuse's it, any idea's.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Google for "magic jelly bean" and "Produkey" - these are both programs that will recover the 25 digit key from a windows installation.

If the XP installation you were trying to reload will still boot then Jelly bean will work.

If the installation won't boot then use Produkey, installed on another pc and attach the hard drive as a slave or via a caddy and it will recover the key.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

The 14 digit one you are using is just above the barcode and consists of just numbers. (Right?)

Underneath the barcode on an XP Authentication Label it should state "Product Key" which is followed by 5 groups of Five letters & Numbers each seperated with a dash.

If this has been wiped out use the method above from Jollyjohn. (It usually happens on a laptop which people have used on their laps! Never do it! They are Notebooks, not laptops - Rant over!)

Like this post
jon2

Likes # 0

the numbers I have are 00043-466-404-093 these are on the sticker that is put on the machine when assembled, it states that this is required to be put on the machine.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Is that from the Microsoft sticker on the bottom or side of the computer.

It should say Microsoft or Windows keycode followed by the number.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"the numbers I have are 00043-466-404-093 these are on the sticker........."

Hi Jon

I think you're trying to type in the wrong code. Have a look at the example here and note that you need to be using the alphanumeric "Product Key" (between the two bar codes).

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

The numbers you have are not the product key. Use Magical Jelly Bean to find your product key. As Taff has said they are 5 groups of Five letters & Numbers each seperated with a dash.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

As I said, Not the right thing - it's all numbers. There are varios different styles of product key authentication. Here's just one Example You can see part of the actual product key in this link. There must be one on your sticker unless it has been removed.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

jon2, And DO NOT post your 25 alphanumeric product key on here for all the world to see or you may find Microsoft will block it and your XP will become not genuine (because thousands of others will have copied, used it and tried to activate it)

Like this post
jon2

Likes # 0

when I find the product key I will not post it on here, many thanks for all your comments

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Sam Smith, Kylie & more live, for...

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft's all or nothing bet on Windows Phone is the best way forward

IDG UK Sites

Google adds better type rendering to its Chrome browser on Windows