We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can't see Linux machine through Windows XP

csqwared
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have two Win XP machines and a Linux Mint. I can access the shared folders of my Win machines from Linux but Win machines, in the Workgroup, shows the Linux connection as "MyMint server (Samba, Linux Mint)(MyMint)" but I can't access files on that machine. "MyMint" is the computer name. Any ideas on how to access files please?

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

If you are saying you can access the Mint machine (icon), but cannot open folders, have you shared one?

I suspect you haven't. Right click on a suitable folder and share it just as you do in Windows and it should appear as a share in Windows.

Generally speaking, Mint is really easy. Let us know if you still have a problem.

Also, make sure Windows has fully booted, as it's network configuration is one of the last things it does and it can be as slow as hell.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

LastChip

New you'd spring to the rescue!! Exactly that, not set the folder to share. Simples!!

Thanks again.

(Time on post says 1.54am. Are you really still awake at that time?

Like this post  
LastChip

Likes # 0

Great - good result and yes, I am a night owl!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...