We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Get rid of MyWebSearch browser?

alibrooks

Likes # 0

My laptop has acquired MyWebSearch browser from somewhere and i cannot get rid of it! I usually use firefox but mywebsearch has also taken over my internet explorer.

I use Vista Home Premium. The protection on it is AVG Free anti virus, Spybot, Malwarebytes and CCleaner. I have run all these but am still stuck with MyWebSearch.

I am extremely computer illiterate and will need very basic step by step idiot proof instructions. If anyone is able to help me I will be extremely grateful.

Many thanks in advance

Like this post
cas5090

Likes # 0

Ali, in the very first reply to this topic, where johndrew has posted two links to solutions, we never tried the second link.

It looks quite straightforward for you to try it, both on firefox and internet explorer. Its the link saying "and with graphics here"

For everyeone else who may read this, I am a pal of Ali.

There is no mention of anything remotely resembling My Web Search or any of the other suggestions when we tried the Add/Remove programmes.

We looked at all the Programme Files via My Computer, then C Drive and again, there appears to be nothing there resembling the suggestions.

We ran hijack this and deleted the entries as instructed

We ran Adw Cleaner as suggested above and it found loads of MyWebSearch stuff and deleted them

None of this has made any difference, the rogue browser is till there both in firefox and I.E.

Spybot, Malwarebytes and CCleaner have not helped either.

Can anyone help us with where to go from here? Is there any point downloading another browser, eg Google Chrome or will this MyWebSearch just take that over too?

Again, many thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

There's another post with another nasty hijacker with a reply from Lotvic. I'll try to find it. Bleeping computer shows how to run rkill first then Malwarebytes. Have you tried running these security software, including your AV, in safe mode?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

In Firefox address bar (url) type about:config and press enter, tell the Dragons you will be careful, now in the Filter address bar type myweb there is prob two entries rightclick on one and choose Reset, now do same with other entry. Close Firefox browser and restart it. You should now be back to being able to search with Google or whatever.

Not sure about IE, what symptoms of it do you get?

Like this post
cas5090

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave and lotwig.

We hadnt tried it in safe mode, will do next time i am round there and also will try that last suggestion cheers lotwig.

Will have a read of the other topic, thanks.

I will report back on here once we have tried these things, it may be a few days

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015