We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Get rid of MyWebSearch browser?

alibrooks

Likes # 0

My laptop has acquired MyWebSearch browser from somewhere and i cannot get rid of it! I usually use firefox but mywebsearch has also taken over my internet explorer.

I use Vista Home Premium. The protection on it is AVG Free anti virus, Spybot, Malwarebytes and CCleaner. I have run all these but am still stuck with MyWebSearch.

I am extremely computer illiterate and will need very basic step by step idiot proof instructions. If anyone is able to help me I will be extremely grateful.

Many thanks in advance

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Full instructions here.

And with graphics here.

Like this post
alibrooks

Likes # 0

Tried looking for MyWebsearch in uninstalled in control panel not listed.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Windows XP 1) From your computer's 'Start' button, select 'Settings', then 'Control Panel' 2) Double-click on 'Add/Remove Programs' 3) Select the Toolbar name that is installed on your computer. (example Webfetti, Zwinky, Filmfanatic, Weatherblink, etc) 4) Click 'Remove'. 5) You must reboot your computer to completely remove the toolbar.

Windows Vista 1) From your computer's 'Start' button, select 'Control Panel' 2) Double-click on 'Programs and Features'
3) Select the Toolbar name that is installed on your computer. (example Webfetti, Zwinky, Filmfanatic, Weatherblink, etc) 4) Click 'Remove'. 5) You must reboot your computer to completely remove the toolbar.

Windows 7 1) From your computer's 'Start' button, select 'Control Panel' 2) Click the "Uninstall a Program" option found under the "Programs" category 3) Select the Toolbar name that is installed on your computer. (example Webfetti, Zwinky, Filmfanatic, Weatherblink, etc) 4) Click "Remove" 5) You must reboot your computer to completely remove the toolbar.

Then run malwarebytes to get rid of any residue from this pest.

Like this post
alibrooks

Likes # 0

Tried deleting toolbars & running Malwarby no sucess.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

In firefox change home page, https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/How%20to%20set%20the%20home%20page

Search engine in firefox, http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/942482

For Internet Explorer it will be quicker if you return to default then re-apply your add-ons.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737#method2

Like this post
alibrooks

Likes # 0

Test post

Like this post
alibrooks

Likes # 0

Apologies for not replying sooner.

I dont understand what to do I'm afraid. I searched in all programmes and also in add/remove programmes and there is definitely nothing showing that resembles any of the toolbars mentioned above, there is nothing I can see that shouldnt be there.

Does this mean it is hidden somewhere and should I now move on to downloading Hijack This?

Many thanks

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try Adw Cleaner, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/ , with instructions on the page.

Like this post
alibrooks

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave. Unfortunately that link wont work for me, it times out, is it working for you?

Like this post
alibrooks

Likes # 0

I downloaded adw from another website and ran it, it found loads of dodgy MyWebSearch stuff, I deleted the lot as instructed and rebooted but its still here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Netflix to introduce price increase: New subcribers to start with

IDG UK Sites

Apple financial results: iPhones, iPads & Macs sales for Apple's Q2 2014, plus shares to split

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

See Moo Studios' new animated advert for Blue Moon beer