We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC Power Supply 12V2 Failure

peterw9966

Likes # 0

I am running a self assembled PC and have had 2 power supply failures. When connected to a power supply tester it shows that there is a fault with the 12V2 supply. What would cause this part of the supply to fail. I use the PC for video work. I am using a Gainward GTX490S graphics card and a 1000W power supply. I would be grateful for any help before fitting a new supply.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

The only thing I can think of is if there is a random short-circuit on the 12V rail somewhere. Difficult to fault analyse though. As replacement PSU will have their own harness to the mobo/component plugs, it has to be downstream of there, so could be HDD, optical drive, mobo. I would start by powering up without the first two and see what happens.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Has both PSU failed on the 12V rail? Chances of that happening if that is the case are tiny. What make of PSU. 1000W is a lot of wattage. Do the rest of your components justify it?

Like this post
peterw9966

Likes # 0

My PSU is an ICUTE AP-1000AS. I originally had a 800W PSU but that kept shutting down during video rendering, but it would restart after a rest. Therefore the larger PSU. This does not shut down during rendering but just fails completely.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Sorry but that is a cheapo PSU and not something I would use ever. But what of the rest of your components as 1000W a lot of wattage?

CPU, HDD's mobo, and anything else you have.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks