We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Commited a stupid, USB stick not seen now!

Housten

Likes # 0

Good morning, Everyone,

I have committed a stupid! At least I think I have!!!! Yesterday afternoon I was trying various different programmes to see if I could copy faster, and I was using a USB stick. I am fairly certain that I ejected it at one point, and I thought that I had waited until the 'Open Devices and Printers' had said it was safe. This morning the stick said, in 'Windows Explorer', that it was corrupt. I tried to re-format it, but that hasn'y worked and now the computer doesn't even see it!!!

Does anyone have any idea how I can get the stick seen by the computer and then formatted?

Many thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I suspect it's dead, but have you tried it in a different USB socket?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

And by the way unless it was actually being read or written to removing a USB without going through the Safely remove ETC will not do any harm. I rarely use that method of removing a device connected via the USB.

So as onthelimit1 It probably died at coincidently the same time. But worth trying another USB port or another PC to see if it has life.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"Does anyone have any idea how I can get the stick seen by the computer and then formatted?"

Probably need to re-partition the USB stick. If you know someone with a Mac, that should be able to do it. Windows cannot natively partition flash drives, but you might find third-party software on this page to do the job.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

as long its not being written to it should be safe to remove a USB drive

Can you see it in disk mangement?

Try the hp usb format tool

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon,

First of all many apologies for not getting back to you sooner.

Firstly, onthelimit1 and Chronos the 2nd, your comments only confirmed what I had thouth and I had tried it in 3 different ports.

mgmcc and Fruit Bat /\0/\, having read your comments and looked up your suggested pages I relaised that I had 'MiniTool Patition Wizard 7.7', so I tried that. Well on Thursday afternoon I gave it a quick scan, which took it until almost midnight, no change. My wife agreed with you, but I refused to give up and started it off on a 'Wipe sector' by writing Zeros to each byte. After 24 hours it has reached 46%!! After it has finished I will see if it is working, but if it isn't then I will - proably - give up and throw it away.

However I must say many thanks to all of you for your time and the trouble you took to reply to me.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Good mornimg, Everyone,

Well it finally finished at some point overnight!! When I got on to my computer this morning I didn't quite know what to do, so I tried renaming the stick, which it took. Encouraged by this I tried formatting it, and MS seemed to take over, and when I was offered 'Quick' I thought I would take a chance, and let it run. It worked, so now not only do I see it in 'Windows Explorer' but 'Computer' as well!!

I am now going to test it out, and if it doesn't work I will be disappointed but not surprised. Anyway I have ordered an external hd, which should arrive in the next few days, so I have that as a backup and replacement.

Many, many thanks to you all, for all your help, time and the trouble you have taken to assist me.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Well, its got one more chance!! I tried my backup programme on it and everything went well to begin with! It did the small recovery partition and then started on 'C:\'. Everything went well until it reached 55%, when the time started climbing again. The time had come down from almost 24 hours to about 1 hour 35 minutes. I expected it to keep dropping, but I suddenly realised that the time was creeping up, and then it appeared to stall, so I stopped it, had lunch and then thought I would try a full format rather than the quick which I had done. I came back to it about 1350 hours and it had reached 5%, so I thought it was going OK. I went to the doctor's and now [ the time is 16.03 hours - according to my computer ] it has reached the dizzying heights of 6%!!!! No doubt she will moan at me again, but I will leave my computer on [ again ] overnight, but if it hasn't finished or fails again on a backup test then it is going to be filed in the round file, this is just not worth the candle, and I am - to put it very mildly - absolutely hissed off with it!!!

Many thanks to everyone for all their help, I am relly grateful!!

I will report back tomorrow to let you know the results - or then again, not!!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If it is taking this long to format it really is time to bin it as it is,and I will use the technical terminology,knackered.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd,

Many thanks for your advice - seriously. I do not know how fast 'Disk Management' is supposed to format USB sticks but I started a re-fomat about 1 pm yesterday and - the time I am writing this is about 1230 pm - it has so far managed to format 24% of the stick! With her complaining that I have had my computer running continuously since las Thursday the time has com to speak of many things. And one of these is that the stick id, as you say, knackered - I think not completely and utterly, but enough. It is a pity because it is a 256 GB one and I would have preferred to keep it, but enough is enough!

Many thanks for everyone's suggestions!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

memory sticks should not be formatted or defraged as this only wears them out quicker. i would say it needs binning

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...