We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Avast 7

PC840

Likes # 0

What has happened, is a blue and orange SHIELD has appeared on my '3' dongle icon and my internet connection keeps dropping out, and error massage 'Can't find server'. The shield , I suspect, is coming from Avast7 Free, but searching the manual it does not display the reason for the the blue/orange shield. Any ideas?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I run Avast and on opening the Avast user interface I can see on the left hand side a heading Real-Time Shields. Have you looked in there as the various protections are there and you can stop any you want or adjust settings under expert.

Like this post
PC840

Likes # 0

' Avast user interface I can see on the left hand side..' yes so can I! But the actual shield that appears over my icon, is not there!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Might be best to try Avast's forum.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Not sure it's anything to do with Avast. Are you sure it is Blue and orange ? If it is the Blue and Yellow icon overlay, Rightclick on the Shield and see if there is option 'Run as Administrator'

AFAIK in Windows 7 the blue and yellow shield icon overlay means that 'whatever it is program etc' needs Administrator Priviledges before it will run. You have to alter the level of UAC if you don't want it.

PS: I had a look at my Avast 7 and nothing had a blue and orange icon, however it said program update available so I've just updated to Avast 8 Free, very different and slick interface :)

Like this post
PC840

Likes # 0

Ha, blue and yellow it is!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Version 8 out now.Avast 8

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...