We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connecting to the internet & firewall problems.

westgolf

Likes # 0

My laptop runs W/vista.I have an ethernet connection to my Belkin router.When I turn everything on it used to show the internet connection in the bottom task bar - without fail. Over the last couple of weeks i often find that the internet connection has not been made & it says "local connection only" when I go through network diagnostics I get, windows firewall - query user ? after maybe 10 minutes of resetting the router & turning off & back on the firewall I eventually get an internet connection.The avg showing in the task bar - frequently says, turned off & I have to go through security centre to reset this, but frequently it does not say it has reset ? Please can anyone suggest a solution ? Thanks.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Some routers really do not like being turned on and off so I would leave it on 24/7.

Have you done a thorough scan for any nasties?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

This is a nasty bug which, as far as I'm aware, is specific to Windows Vista. Have a look at this page to see if that helps in resolving the issue.

Like this post
westgolf

Likes # 0

Thank you for this.I have worked through everything & its now clear to me that vista suffers this affliction. I am grateful for all help , Thank you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback