We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Faster file copying, please

Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon,

I wish to copy 2 or 3 folders on a frequent basis to USB drives as an additional backup because of the importance of the files – to my wife and I – of the data that the folders contain. I have tried experimenting with Windows 7 ‘Copy’ command, but it seems slow. Does anyone have any ideas of any faster programmes? I have looked for and found ‘Robocopy’ and one or two others, but I can not get how to use them, and so I would be very much appreciative if anyone who has a suggestion could also include where and how I can get hold of their suggestion, but as important is how and where I activate and use the programme. By that I mean does the programme operate from the desktop or do I have to get the ‘DOS’ command window to open, and use it from there. I have been running round in circles, and would very much appreciate any help or ideas anyone has.

Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Right click "Send To" works for me.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Synctoy works reasonably quickly.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

ps the file copying speed depends on the size of the file(s), the speed of the connection (USB 2 or 3) and what else the pc is doing. Other programs are unlikely to faster than copy.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon northumbria61 and Woolwell

I must apologise for not replying to you sooner! I have spent most of this afternoon - doing what my wife calls - playing!! I have not really found any faster programme or technique, so I will just be staying with what I know!!!

Many, many thanks for your replies; at least I know now that what I am doing is probably not the best, but there are not other programmes that are much better!

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Good morning northumbria61 and Woolwell,

Just to show you how annoying my computer can be when I was doing various copying tests yesterday I was getting up to 1.5 MB as the transfer rate, but much of the time was about 700 - 750 KB. This morning I had to transfer some photos to a USB stick and I was getting 10.3 - 12.6 MB transfer rate. So I tried the two folders I was using yesterday and got 3.5 to 5.2 MB for one and 7.5 - 10.7 MB for the other. Talk about confusing! But I now have another problem, so I will open another thread.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features