We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Asus Vivobook - Pentium B987 or Core i3-2365m

Davey14

Likes # 0

Hi

I will be buying an Asus Vivobook shortly, either:-

Pentium B987 £369

Core i3-2365m £429

Is the extra £60 worth it for the better i3 processor machine (the other difference is that the i3 machine has bluetooth)

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Notebookcheck do a lot of benchmarks and looking at their big list the two processors are at 124 and 130, in practical terms they're identical in processing power - the i3's newer design, more cache and extra features make up for the shortfall in clock speed.

The i3 has the better integrated graphics (including quicksync support) as well as hardware virtualisation support (VT-x) for running virtual machines and a lower heat output.

So for me the lower heat would be a major factor if I was going to have this laptop on my knees for any length of time. Bluetooth would also be useful to me as I personally cannot use a touch pad so prefer a mouse and having bluetooth support means I would not need to tie up a USB slot by having a USB mouse connected.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I've just bought that Vivobook. For me the better processor was worth it. I managed to get one of the few left with the i3-3217U processor for just a few pounds more. Early days but I'm quite pleased with it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...