We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC Switch Off Question

muddypaws
Resolved

Likes # 0

I purchased a new Logiteck wirellees keyboard and mouse yesterday.

It has the usual buttons at the top including a PC switch off button. So last night instead of the usual Start/Turn Off

sequence I used the button. PC immediately switched off with no saving settings etc.

I wondered if I might have lost anything, but switching on the usual way just now the PC went straight into fully booted

with no boot up sequence and everything loaded.

So question is what mode does it go into via the keyboard and is it a risky manoevre.

XP SP3

Thanks.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

"wirellees"?!

Obviously not used to it yet.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Logitech is a bit iffy also lol. But I can only assume that it puts it in to hibernation/sleep mode if it booted straight to where you left off.I am in the process of knocking up a SFF PC for my good lady and I have a Logitech wireless mouse/KB so will have a look later once I have it installed. At the moment I am waiting on a case for the build so the parts though connected are in a bit of a mess at the moment. Just installed Windows so will update then install the mouse/Kb and let you know.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Almost certainly a sleep button, not power off / on.

This will put run down the disks and generally put the system in to a low power state, but maintain the memory. When you went to power-up, it would have just restored the full power ready for you to carry on from where you left off. Note that if you had subsequently fully powered off (whilst in sleep mode) the memory contents would have been lost - whether you would have lost any work or not would have depended on whether you had saved to disk and the caches had been flushed.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

As Batch has quite rightly pointed out,the button is a Sleep or standby button. Well it is on my Logitech Wireless Combo MK260 and just tried it and yes that is exactly what the button does.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd

Batch

Thanks for quick replies. Think I will continue to shut down via Windows to prevevnt any problems.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

"prevevnt".

Done it again

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Bit disappointed that the mouse takes 2X AAAs. Been using two of my many AA re-chargeables in the old one.

Will see if the battery life is as good as it says on the box.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015