We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Palicomp i5 vortex with GTX660

ianjones87

Likes # 0

I really like i5 vortex by Palicomp: http://www.palicomp.co.uk/gaming-pcs/phoenix-i5-vortex.html and the pricing point, can i get a second opinion on the spec please, im curious as to whether to upgrade the power supply so i can get into some BF3 and Crysis 3 action! Also would the 660 be sufficient or should i go AMD?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

You do not need to upgrade the PSU to play BF3 and Crysis 3 but I do note that for £700 the PSU although seems to have a decent amount of watts (650) it does not seem to be a named brand which I would expect for that sort of cash.

Also the ad says that the CPU has been over-clocked to 4.6Ghz yet there is no mention of what heatsink/cooler comes with the PC. A lot more heat is generated after an over-clock and I for one would want to know that there is a decent cooler in the rig.

For £700 it comes in a pretty cheap case (around £35)I would expect more.

I do not believe that this build is worth £700 but I build my own so perhaps am not best placed to judge whether this is good value or not.

As to the games you mentioned. For BF3 this is the sort of frame-rates you will get. BF3. Crysis 3 should be around the same dependent on monitor resolution.

Like this post
ianjones87

Likes # 0

Thanks Chronos, i have no experience of building and i know putting parts together isnt hard but my concern is things going wrong or not setting up the PC properly etc. The quality looks quite good for bf3. Im not sure about the heatsink i might call Palicomp and ask, this will be my first gaming pc as i am a console owner mainly! Do you know if this spec would handle multiple screens?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

A different model but someone not happy with the contents.

Click here

If it does not open at the correct page click on comments.

Like this post
ianjones87

Likes # 0

Interesting Jock1e, ive read an enormous amount of positive reviews on Palicomp through review centre http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews243987.html and their facebook, so not 100% sure on them, they seem quite trustworthy. Do you think that spec would handle multiple screens?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Do you know if this spec would handle multiple screens?

It will depend on how many screens and the size of the screens. But here is the spec for the GTX 660.

Like this post
ianjones87

Likes # 0

i want 3 like the "eyefinity" setup. and im not sure what the normal size of these are 22 or 24 inch maybe, just hope the 660 can handle it.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

As you can see by the spec in my link that the 660 can handle 4 screens at a maximum resolution of 2560x1600. But you do know that Eyefinity is AMD not Nvidia? And I think you need SLI,two x GTX660 for a similar type of thing with Nvidia. So you might need to switch to an ATI equivalent GPU say the 7870.

Like this post
ianjones87

Likes # 0

i didnt know that - make senses that wherever i see eyefinity it says AMD! Will look into this, Palicomp sales staff have been really helpful so far!

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

I bought one of their i7 bundles last October and I found them easy to deal with and their support line answered quickly.

Like this post
ianjones87

Likes # 0

alanrwood - thats refreshing to hear.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...