We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Vista - Win8 Share Files

Legslip

Likes # 0

I have 2PC's running the above operating systems. Can someone give me and idiots guide as to how to set them up to share and modify files between each other please.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Is there anybody out there?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"Is there anybody out there?" - Don't think so, the street looks totally deserted from where I'm sitting!

Firstly, make sure that all folders that you want to have available over the network (in both PCs) are set as "Shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing option. I don't have Vista but you may also have to set Permissions to allow the remote PC to access the files. It is usually simpler if you use the same Username & Password to log in to both PCs.

Once the sharing has been set up, go into Network (My Network Places). Windows 8 should find the remote PC and double clicking its icon should display the Shared Folders. In Vista you may have to expand the folder tree in Windows Explorer to locate the remote PC (Windows 8) and then select it to show the Shared Folders.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks MGMCC. Didn't think I was going to get an answer. Very useful and will give it a whirl.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Mmmmmm....

Sorry MGMCC but couldn't get this to work. Might be me doing it wrongly. Can you or anyone describe what I need to do IN VERY BASIC TERMS. Sorry.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia