We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Volume icon not showing on taskbar

ponytail

Likes # 0

Would anyone know why my volume control by the clock is sometime not there.Sometimes when I turn the PC on the icon is not there and othertimes it is there.It is not there now but when I right click on a blank space near the clock and then click on properties the volume icon says off but is not highlighted so am ubable to turn it on this happens on a regular basis.If i reboot my PC now can almost guarantee the volume icon will be there.Any ideas out there

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Go to Services - scroll down to find Windows Audio - right click on it - Properties - Start up Type - make sure it is set to Automatic - Apply - OK. You may need to click on Restart the Service.

Like this post
Zurdo

Likes # 0

I've just had a similar problem but it was the connection icon missing and greyed out when right clicking taskbar, properties, notification area. The solution I found was to end explorer.exe under task manager, then under the file menu New task (run) type explorer.exe as a new task. Did the trick for me without messing about under regedit as some folks advised.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Are you sure its not just "hidden"

click the arrow on the left of the system tray to display the hidden items

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi northumbria61 where do I find services fruit bat/\o/\ There is no arrow there all the items seem to be showing

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi northumbria61 where do I find services fruit bat/\o/\ There is no arrow there all the items seem to be showing

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Start - Run (XP) Search (Vista W7)

type services.msc

press enter

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try right click on taskbar - properties - Under Taskbar Tab - Volume - Should show con & Notifications (or change to) You should unlock taskbar to do this and then lock after making any changes.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Sorry - should have added after Under Taskbar Tab click on Customize then follow on from there.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi again northumbria61 Still having problems getting the volume icon to appear can I be a pain in the neck and ask you to explain it step by step.At the moment the icon is not showing

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I am giving you instructions here for Windows 7 but it should/may apply to other OS. Go to Control Panel - Notifications Area Icons - Select which Icons and Notifications appear on the taskbar - Choose Volume Icon - then you should change the option to Show Icon and Notifications - click OK

Have you already checked SERVICES to see if Windows Audio is running and set to Automatic?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 10 most ridiculously opulent, mega expensive and utterly stupid gadgets you can't afford

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Free QuarkXPress update offers redlining, notes and image enhancement