We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How do you get Google to report your site

johnincrete
Resolved

Likes # 0

My church in Crete has a new website. How do we get Google & co to include it in searches such as "Churches in Crete"

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Google will automatically pick up your site and index it.

If you want to ensure that your site is Google friendly you should read this

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

Thanks. I had been given the wrong idea by companies who "guarentee" best results from Google. I shall certainly study the link.

Like this post  
fourm member

Likes # 0

Though there are legitimate companies who can help you have a search engine friendly website they are very hard to identify amongst the much larger number of companies who seek to take advantage of people's lack of knowledge about search engines.

Put simply, if you build a site that is easy to read and navigate by a human being it will also be useful to search robots.

Tricks to get higher rankings are just that and Google constantly looks for them and blocks them.

For a small site owner, the simple rule is never pay for SEO. (That's not the same as paying for a designer/builder who, as part of the package, makes sure the site gets its proper ranking.)

Like this post
ianjones87

Likes # 0

have a look and register your website too googles "webmaster tools" it can help submit your pages and things! its free.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Using Google's webmaster tools and help is an excellent idea.

Not least because it tells you very clearly that there is no need to submit your site.

Google does a very good job of telling people how to get the proper ranking. Why would it provide information that made its service worse?

Like this post
AdTheGeek

Likes # 0

Ensure that the site has correctly written metatags in both the the body and the head.

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

Google does not report the site when I query "Churches in Crete".

AdTheGeek: What are metatags?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"What are metatags?"

They are keywords which relate to the subject matter of your site, and were in the past inserted into site pages in hidden form, so search engines could see them, and list your site accordingly. That was because, back then, sites were ranked purely on site content.

I say this happened 'in the past' because Google doesn't use meta-tags to rank websites, and hasn't done so for many years. You should ignore any advice that you include them.

Google ranks sites using very sophisticated algorithms, none of which use meta-tags. Google relies instead on site content, plus other 'off page' factors, one of which is how many external links point to a site.

Optimising your site can be a lengthy process, but in essence you should concentrate on the content and architecture - well written text, appropriate images, and efficient site navigation. Make sure that you refresh the content from time to time, and work on getting other sites to link back to you. One way of doing this is by what's called 'reciprocal linking', a process whereby you put a link to a site on your page, and that site owner includes a link to your site.

It's easier said than done, if it was easy everyone would do it. Take time over your pages, work away at getting the content right, find other, related sites to link with.

Use Google analytics to monitor progress.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

If the site is live, post a link so people can look and see if there are any obvious problems with getting your proper ranking.

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

The site is http://www.christchurchcrete.com The choice of .com was not mine! You will see that the site is simple and is still being constructed

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014