We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

W7 Inspiron C drive full

onthelimit1

Likes # 0

My window cleaner dropped off his laptop for me to have a look at. Kept getting warnings that the 200Gb HDD was full. When I went to C:Windows/Temp, it contained 190Gb of files (by comparison, my W7 and W8 PCs both showed this folder to be empty). I set a restore point then deleted them all and it seems to be fine now, but where on earth did such a large amount come from?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Unless you looked at the names and types of files we shall never know....

Maybe you should check that C:Windows/Temp hasn't somehow been set as the default folder to save to for files and Browser downloads. If all the programs and OS and personal data only come to 10 GB doesn't sound as if much/any personal data files, also where are the restore points saved? they should take up about 12% of total drive.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic - for some reason, there were no restore points until I set one. He has a few phots and a number of docs - no videos, so the space now showing as used is not unreasonable. I'll check on the defaults and report back.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added