We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless relays, can someone clarify please

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi all, I would like to extend the range on my wireless connections. Some time back I bought 2 of the plug in devices from Amazon, they did not state in their advertising that they had to be on the same circuit so were useless to me and I had to return them. The basic question here is are there devices that can be used on any circuits i.e. one down the workshop on its own circuit breaker and the other upstairs on a completely different one and they will still work together. Looking at the available devices I can't find one that actually makes this point clear, it's a huge difference between limited use and works anywhere.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Something like this might work.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Just make sure that you have the necessary 'security' in operation, and no 'ultra' thick wall or similar obstacles.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks, not sure if that is what I need or not. I have E mailed the seller for some more info.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Not sure why you needed to email the seller - these devices simply pick up a weak wireless signal and retransmit it at a stronger level. Should work for what you want to do.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi again, reading through Ian's link it suggests that this needs to be connected to a Sky box, maybe not but that was what I asked the seller to clarify.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Here is pasted the reply from the seller ( The device provides Internet access to OnDemand devices such as smart TV's , SKY and youview boxes. It connects tl these devices via an Ethernet cable and connects rotor router wirelessly.) This still leaves me confused as to whether this is the correct device.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Hi and thanks for your replies. I don't think I explained too well in my OP, will try again here rather than open another post. I want to have wifi connection available at 2 out buildings appx 50mtrs from my wireless router. Not surprisingly this does not work at present. Both buildings have mains power from the house so am looking for something that can use the wiring for the data tranfer then plug in a wireless device at the other end. Does anyone know of a suitable bit of kit, the source and destination are NOT on the same circuit.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If not on the same circuit, homeplugs will not work. If there is a weak signal at the outbuildings, a booster of some sort example here should do the trick. There are other options such as more powerful antennas which can be fitted to some models of router (but not all - some have a built-in aerial). an example here

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

I believe that home plugs will work on different mains circuits as long as they all go through the same consumer box. What they will not do is to cross phases. As you say that your units have ains power from the house, do they use the same consumer unit?

This article may interest you.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Just as an afterthought, are you aware that you can obtain these plugs that provide wifi and ethernet connections? I believe that the ethernet connections are much more stable.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...